Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ablabys taenianotus
(Cockatoo Waspfish, Cockatoo Leaf Fish, Sailfin Rouge)
taenionotus.jpg

Maximum Size: 3.5-4.5"TL
Habitat: Inhabits lagoon and reef slopes, typically found in caves, stands of macroalgae, and beneath overhangs by day.
Diet: Easy to convert to frozen.
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons.
Special Considerations: Highly Venomous.
Unfortunately, this fish is often overlooked by aquarists due to its rather drab-looking coloration, thus, it’s often not readily found in the hobby, or at least at many LFS. Their coloration typically ranges from dark brown to a golden color, and more often than not, this fish is seen with a white blaze down its short snout. Our specimen changes color within these hues, but also develops lavender spotting that resemble coralline algae. According to Scott Michael, this species is sexually dimorphic, with females having single white blotches or spots above and below the lateral line, while males do not. Additionally, males have one or two white spots on the distal portion of their opercula which are absent in the female.

The most recognizeable trait of this fish is the large sail-shaped dorsal fin, which gives rise to some of its common names. This fish is distinguished from A. macaranthus by examining the starting point of the first dorsal spine. In the cockatoo, it begins behind the eyes whereas in A. macaranthus, it begins in front of the eyes.

Extremely laterally compressed, this fish will often sway in the current, where it resembles tumbeling seaweed. Do not mistaken it's odd locomotion for disease.

What can we say about this species? We LOVE keeping it. They never seem to pay their tankmates much attention, but aren’t shy when it comes to feeding. It is also one of the most “friendly” fish we keep, coming out to greet us when we do tank chores, and even perching in my open palm on occasion.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Scorpaeniformes
Family: Scorpaenidae
Subfamily: Tetraroginae
Genus: Ablabys
Species: taenianotus

gallerytaenianotus1.jpg

Last edited:

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it. I didn't even look twice at these guys until you posted this photo.

I want too many fish :p

As a general question, how long do most of the little predators normally live?

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are large, but have one of the smaller mouth-size/body-size ratio. I wouldn't trust a scorp of this size with the smaller fish, but this guy isn't a problem.

gallerytaenianotus6.jpg

gallerytaenianotus7.jpg

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taenianotus triacanthus
(Leaf Scorpionfish, Sailfin Leaffish, Paperfish)
tricanthusquickstats.jpg

Maximum Size: 4" TL​
Habitat: Inhabits reef flats, outer reef slopes, current-swept channels, and is occasionally found on lagoon reefs.
Diet: Can be very difficult to convert to frozen
Degree of Difficulty: Moderate due to diet requirements
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons for a single specimen. 20 gallons for two. 30 gallons for a trio.
Special Considerations: Venomous.
T
hese little fish are quite comical in their behavior. Being true to their name, they mimic dead leaves swaying in the current, but the fun doesn’t end there. Rather than swim, these cute little scorps move from place to place by crutching or hopping along the substrate. In fact, they soon recognize their keepers, and will come hopping over to beg for a handout. Their bodies are extremely laterally compressed, with a high, sail-shaped dorsal fin. They come in a variety of colors, yellow, brown, red, or mottled. The deep red specimens are striking, but unfortunately, almost always fade to a pinkish cream color in captivity. They do well in pairs and trios, and can make for a nice little display. About the only thing I can say that some consider negative is the fact that they can be difficult to wean onto dead food items, so be prepared to offer gut-loaded ghost shrimp for the life of the fish. That being said, these fish do seem to be easily trained to take food from a small net. How many fish have you seen hurry INTO a net?

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Scorpaeniformes
Family: Scorpaenidae
Subfamily: Scorpaeninae
Genus Taenianotus
Species: triacanthus

U haz food?

gallerytriacanothus4.jpg

gallerytriacanothus1.jpg

gallerytriacanothus2.jpg

gallerytriacanothus3.jpg

gallerytriacanothus5.jpg

gallerytriacanothus7.jpg

gallerytriacanothus8.jpg

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killing me too :rolleyes:.
Your pics and descriptions make them sound soooo cute and full of personality.
Have an extra 29g biocube, might have to start researching a lil' 'Nano Pred'! ;)

Last edited:

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 29g would make an awesome Nano Pred tank.

Come to the dark side.......
Alright, evil enabler. *If* some weak-willed individual were considering a second cube for a nano predator tank, what would the nano predator expert recommend as a combination?

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just getting the 1st 29g under my belt :rolleyes: ... but my little one saw a lil' Scorpionfish at the LFS and started the 'oh please mommy, please can we get one'! :confused:

Yeah, notice I mentioned a *second* nano cube. My first fish for the one that just finished cycling are still in quarantine! LOL

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, evil enabler. *If* some weak-willed individual were considering a second cube for a nano predator tank, what would the nano predator expert recommend as a combination?

A combination of the cockatoo and leaf fish. With a 29 you could also add a fuzzy lion in there as well.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all are getting me excited to filler up too!!!!!

The fish in this thread so far, are all compatible nano preds for a 29g. You'll be able to have the same mix, just not as many of them. You'll have to pick and choose until you meet the bioload/physical limit.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just getting the 1st 29g under my belt :rolleyes: ... but my little one saw a lil' Scorpionfish at the LFS and started the 'oh please mommy, please can we get one'! :confused:

Muhahahahahahaha! It starts.....

These fish are different, than others. They move and interact with you in a different way.

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A combination of the cockatoo and leaf fish. With a 29 you could also add a fuzzy lion in there as well.
I think a lion, leaf, and cockatoo are my top choices anyway. Although I love the ghoul too.

Wouldn't something rectangular be better since they are mainly bottom dwellers?

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair, So is there a good online vendor that I can start looking for Scorpionfish?
I am NOT going to be doing this soon :rolleyes: but would like to start gathering info!

Which would be the easiest to take care of and could I keep 2 in a 29g?

I just pulled 15 baby mollies from my saltwater tank yesterday, so need to focus on them right now:confused:

Also, would have to cycle up the other tank.

Can't believe I am thinking about doing this .... like the hubby keeps tellin' me ... I have went and lost my mind!!! ;)

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys can take care of those 15 mollie babies for ya! O.O

A beginner fish from those I listed would be the Cockatoo and the Fuzzy. The Littoralis is also a fast easy boy. My yellow spot was a little harder in the beginning, because he was shy. That makes converting to frozen a little more challenging. My first Ghoul was very slow to feed, yet the other two were much easier, so I'm not sure if that's a personality thing or a species thing. Leaf fish can be hard to convert as well, other than that they are easy to care for. None of these are difficult fish, it's just that some are harder to convert than others.

You could put 3 of these fish in a 29.

These guys can look SO different from each other.... like a filefish is a filefish is a filefish. You order one online, and you know what it's going to look like. Scorps/lions can be drab to extraordinary, so seeing them is so important. That limits the online purchases some, so I only do WYSIWYG. I've shopped at DD, PIA (closed) Blue Zoo Aquatics and NY Aquatic. There used to be a lot of local places, but they've either closed on went downhill in the past few years.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back