OP
OP
Ultra Aquatics

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, it is less of a problem than you think. Most people will remember not to pour your water in the tank.

The only way you can guarentee the fish not to transfer disease is a 45 day QT at 80-81 degrees or so at 2.5ppm copper power (or similar) with no new additions. Jay Hemdal has a guide. The risk you take of doing less than this is that you could contaminate the non qt tank and then have to keep it fallow for 45 days.

I see, definitely will think more about this and check out @Jay Hemdal guide.

Most of the stores I know that run copper, since their fish are going straight into the display tanks, they are sold within days.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give some thought to how often you expect to acquire new inventory to add to the QT systems you set up. My guess is you might wind up making purchases more frequently than the 45 +/- days required for the full QT protocol, depending on what's available to you in the market and what your customers ask for. Hence, you will likely have multiple systems at various stages of completion. While this will complicate the situation, your "for Sale" inventory might require it to maintain a steady flow of new additions over the course of time. Biosecurity as Jay indicated will become critical to avoid cross contamination of multiple systems.

OP
OP
Ultra Aquatics

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Give some thought to how often you expect to acquire new inventory to add to the QT systems you set up. My guess is you might wind up making purchases more frequently than the 45 +/- days required for the full QT protocol, depending on what's available to you in the market and what your customers ask for. Hence, you will likely have multiple systems at various stages of completion. While this will complicate the situation, your "for Sale" inventory might require it to maintain a steady flow of new additions over the course of time. Biosecurity as Jay indicated will become critical to avoid cross contamination of multiple systems.
Will have to scale up as needed although our fish section will not be huge. Corals are our primary focus. The retail area is small and space is limited. Qt tanks will be located in our back warehouse which is about 1500sf.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back