Return plumbing questions, Inline UV, first sump ever!

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first bigger boy setup. Still not big but bigger. I've only had AIO's up to now. This will be a IM Nuvo 50 EXT and Trigger Triton 20 v2 setup.

I have a very small amount of experience plumbing for a ridiculous AIO tank UV + refugium.
The overflow plumbing will be very easy just a gate valve, a couple unions, and a couple 45 degree bends.

I originally wanted to make the UV a split from the return with a gate valve to lower flow really low for parasite management but that seems like too much effort now. The flow of the return should be perfect for this UV and algae. I don't think I will run the UV very often but I own it so I want to hook it up.

Does this high tech return diagram look good to you guys?

20240411_174617[1].jpg

There are 2 90's on the exit of the UV one to move the line over so it wont run into the plumbing running to the back of the tank. I might need a couple 45 degrees to line up properly with the return bulkhead near the end.

Is there anything I should add to keep my options open in the future?

The pump is about 45" below the return bulkhead and the tank + sump is about 70 gallons. Would a Vectra S2 or Cor-15 fit the flow requirements well?

Last edited:

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the vectra pump because the battery backup is awesome. You might want to keep the UV on its own pump. So much easier to control the flow.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I set it up with the pump and return line of the UV both in the return chamber of my sump? I do have an extra Mightyjet Mini that would fit the bill.

but with the UV on the actual return line it would hit all the water and the flow of my sump matches the Algae control flow of the UV. I know there is a lot of debate whether UVs can even help with parasites or not too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to plumb it on its own circuit running from the first chamber back into the first chamber of my sump. It might recirculate some water when run at high speed but I will run this most of the time for parasite management with really low flow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back