Union is off target, any advice for my patch plan wanted!

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done 1 other plumbing project before this that was much smaller. This build has a manifold for a UV sterilizer and it has complicated things.. lol

The union on the left is off about 2/16" so I need to fix it but I messed up once and I am afraid to mess it up again.. x(
20240420_091912[1].jpg
20240420_091924[1].jpg
coupling data.png

I plan to cut the return line at the top before the 90° to the bulkhead. Insert a coupling and remove the N(3/32") + 2/16". This is a 3/4" coupling.
I think it should line up perfectly after that. Any advice is greatly appreciated though!

Last edited:

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it threads together and doesnt put a large strain on the pipes, ship it. Being off an 1/8” isnt much to worry about honestly. I never measure when I do plumbing.

T€rm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a hair dryer or heat gun and heat up the pvc a little, this will soften the pvc so you can slightly bend the pvc so that it kings up properly.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also order some of this pr something like it and apply to the threads to make it much smoother to tighten. Also helps of you ever to to take it apart as sw makes it difficult after time.

DANCO Waterproof Silicone Faucet Grease | Silicone Sealant | Plumbers valve Grease for O-rings | 0.5 oz. | 1-Pack (88693) https://a.co/d/dMSQlJ3

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it threads together and doesnt put a large strain on the pipes, ship it. Being off an 1/8” isnt much to worry about honestly. I never measure when I do plumbing.
I just remeasured and it actually looks about 3.5/16". It hits the O-ring really uneven.

It doesn't seem too difficult a fix and I'd rather do it now then maybe have to do it when it is full of fish.

@term I'm not sure bending it can bring it up to where I need.

@billyocean You apply it on the threads not the O-ring? I can tighten the union together but when I push them together without the collar the top of the union hits first and even when I force them together the bottom of the union still has a slight gap in it. So most of the pressure would be on the top of the O-ring when tightened. I am just afraid that might cause a leak at some point.

Last edited:

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remeasured and it actually looks about 3.5/16". It hits the O-ring really uneven.

It doesn't seem too difficult a fix and I'd rather do it now then maybe have to do it when it is full of fish.

@term I'm not sure bending it can bring it up to where I need.

@billyocean You apply it on the threads not the O-ring? I can tighten the union together but when I push them together without the collar the top of the union hits first and even when I force them together the bottom of the union still has a slight gap in it. So most of the pressure would be on the top of the O-ring when tightened. I am just afraid that might cause a leak at some point.

I applied to threads and o ring. If you have the room to add a coupling to square it up that would be best for a return as its under pressure. I would grease regardless. Heating up the pipe to bend as mentioned isn't a bad idea if you're carefull

20231027_130853.jpg

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! so many 45s! Looks like it was a lot of fun to build.... lol

The repair is complete and it is much better. I might have taken off a slight amount too much but it is a lot closer now.
20240420_114814[1].jpg
20240420_115202[1].jpg

Now I am fixing this part where I glued the 45 slightly out of alignment. I am trying to decide if I should install a union or just another coupling there. There is a union right before it and a true union ball valve will be right after it so I am thinking a coupling.

20240420_115459[1].jpg 20240420_115448[1].jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%

Back