Returning to hobby with a 120 gallon time machine

jdthome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I plan on doing a build log shortly about a tank that is a long time coming. One that was ready for water in 2014 but due to life changes came to an abrupt halt. The tank was a beast of a 120 that was my friend gave up to move onto a 400 gallon. This tank is standard 4x2x2 but it has half inch glass with euro brace on the bottom and double on the top. It was also drilled for closed loop (that at the time I assumed I would also utilize) and 2 returns. 7 holes in the back of a tank, since filled with bulkheads and caps to leak test this tank back then and again recently. Added a 6 foot by 2 foot steel tank stand from another friend's tank failure. And spent time building a wooden cabinet with magnetic easy remove sides. Had an apex with a ton of addons, 5 RapidLED onyx fixtures, a 40 breeder sump that I baffled, a AVAST Marine Skimmer that i was told was part of the first group they made, 2 Vortech MP40s and a bunch of marco rock. This tank has been setup in my living room waterless for 8 years taunting me. Never operational just water tested. I basically kept the house and this tank. 2 weeks ago I moved it to a new home in a basement office, with a dream of a partial fishroom just outside the office. I hope I still enjoy this hobby. While buying new would be wonderful, I think it wise to start with this equipment and see if I still enjoy it. Good or bad idea..... This is the journey I am going to try. Watch the members tank section for the 2014 time machine build.

I had several tanks before this tank was being put together. Prior to this tank I had a 75 gallon and a 29 gallon AIO cube. I had a Fish only with bleached coral... then a FOWLR. I now have a variety of rock saved to build my aquascape. Ton of old coral too neat to use in a tank anymore, bunch of tonga branch, old fiji, some TBS gulf rock and I'm guessing early Marco rock. Tonight I am going to toss some of this rock in a brute trash can with a 10-1 bleach ratio. I tried pressure washing the rock. That did not work. I bought some cut Marco rock in the past month and it is pure white. The rock from 10 years ago (which was never in a tank) has a rusty brown coloration. I'm hoping that the bleach soak for a week will get rid of that and I can start with all the rock uniform to track the uglies later on. Anybody remember this being an issue back in the day?

379863356_357052443326631_2332289659946084561_n.jpg 379972459_324490303409703_8974256007064376384_n.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back