Review of Eshopps 3rd Generation R-200 Refugium

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I removed the noisy Mag 7 pump and installed a Reef Octopus OCTO VarioS 4 in the sump. A perfect fit and so quite I hardly know if it is on or not. I'm not using the ATO float that came with the sump so I don't know, if used, will it interfere with the floats operation.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pump seems nice but it isn't cheap. But it does have more flow than the tunze that someone earlier in the thread is using. I have a 90g so I feel that I need the extra flow. Do you use the different settings?
I'm going to keep looking for options but I appreciate the update!

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 65 gallon and I can only use the #3 setting (there are 5) because anything higher drains the small chamber and the ATO kicks on. Still have to play with it more to get the right height on the ATO sensor to maybe use #4. For a 90 gallon tank I think this pump would be perfect, and using #4 or #5 would be ideal, but you might have to modify the water entry slots to a bigger size to "feed" the pump. Setting #3 is giving me more flow than the Mag 7 so I'm happy...

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this sump and I'm using a Current Eflux pump. The 1050 fits with room to spare. The 1900 should fit as well.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone still liking their sump? Any issues? I'm considering upgrading my tank from a 90 to a 120 and trying to decide if I want to keep my sump or upgrade. I have the r200.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone still liking their sump? Any issues? I'm considering upgrading my tank from a 90 to a 120 and trying to decide if I want to keep my sump or upgrade. I have the r200.
Leah,

I would say if your R200 is working for you hold onto it. It's a good sump I think and to upgrade from there you are going to be out of pocket for upwards of $400 for something new.

ReefingWoonkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simplicity 3200 return pump is what I’m using in my r-200. With a 6 foot run. It cranks and it fits perfectly. Totally silent as well. I keep it below half way on the control otherwise it drains the return

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad I found this, I am looking at buying a barely used (2 months) r300. I have a 90 gallon so I should have tons of room for the return pump. Acroding to measurements it should fit into my stand, the trick is getting in there. Thanks for the review.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad I found this, I am looking at buying a barely used (2 months) r300. I have a 90 gallon so I should have tons of room for the return pump. Acroding to measurements it should fit into my stand, the trick is getting in there. Thanks for the review.
I have a Jebao DCT6000 on my 90 with an R300 and I have yet to run it over 50%.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has it turns out he has the models wrong. It was a ADV-200. Still stoked about it. Can’t find nearly as much about the ADV series but I haven’t seen much negative.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked up my R-200. I used the gray pipe for the return but finding out it makes a bit of noise. I think its the ridges in it. Im going to hard plumb and install a gate valve on it tonight. I also had a DCS-9000 but I only used setting 2 it was OVER kill. Im getting a Current 1050 #6009 for my return as my 120g over flow only calls for 700 gph. Wish me luck!

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the R200 and will put in hard pipe with unions and ball valves. I didn't trust those flex pipes to not leak. Thin wall flex pipe or schedule 40, that decision is easy. Gonna use a Jabeo DC-12000 (can't beat it for the price) for the return. Fits with room to spare in the return chamber. Will update on the performance and noise when I can get it wet...waiting on plumbing pieces. Who knew I couldn't find 1" threaded elbows at the box stores. Eshopps s200 skimmer will fit well in it's spot. My build thread isn't started yet but I will update a link when I start (very soon). BIG surprise in that build you all will want to see.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the R200 and will put in hard pipe with unions and ball valves. I didn't trust those flex pipes to not leak. Thin wall flex pipe or schedule 40, that decision is easy. Gonna use a Jabeo DC-12000 (can't beat it for the price) for the return. Fits with room to spare in the return chamber. Will update on the performance and noise when I can get it wet...waiting on plumbing pieces. Who knew I couldn't find 1" threaded elbows at the box stores. Eshopps s200 skimmer will fit well in it's spot. My build thread isn't started yet but I will update a link when I start (very soon). BIG surprise in that build you all will want to see.

Just out what I did https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neo-jeo-120g.358240/

I used a gate valve to slow the overflow noise.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank from a 90g to a 120 and moved my R-200 over to a stand next to it. I've been using the sump for a little over a year previously. It is starting to bow slightly on the left and right sides and around the lid. Not a huge amount, but I don't think I would be comfortable using this sump for more than 3-4 years at this rate.
I upgraded my return pump from a mag 7 to a sicce syncra silent 5.0. The sicce is a much better fit, it is quieter and doesn't vibrate against the sizes and the flow is great.
I am not sure that the sump is really built to handle that much flow, though. I may turn it down slightly.

I'm still getting all of my equipment moved over. But here is a preliminary picture.
20180211_184646.jpg

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get the DCP pump they are the newest model. Also The current pump I got made a VERY loud humm at 30-60% power level. I returned it and got a Reef O v4

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank from a 90g to a 120 and moved my R-200 over to a stand next to it. I've been using the sump for a little over a year previously. It is starting to bow slightly on the left and right sides and around the lid. Not a huge amount, but I don't think I would be comfortable using this sump for more than 3-4 years at this rate.
I upgraded my return pump from a mag 7 to a sicce syncra silent 5.0. The sicce is a much better fit, it is quieter and doesn't vibrate against the sizes and the flow is great.
I am not sure that the sump is really built to handle that much flow, though. I may turn it down slightly.

I'm still getting all of my equipment moved over. But here is a preliminary picture.
20180211_184646.jpg

Maybe I put a strap around my r-200? To prevent that?

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the DCP pump they are the newest model. Also The current pump I got made a VERY loud humm at 30-60% power level. I returned it and got a Reef O v4
I'm hoping that if I run it at half power, the hum will be faint or none at all. I have the new DCP 15000 on the way to pump up my RODI and mix water from the basement. If this pump is too loud, I'll replace it later with a vectra or sicce...we have so many outdoor fountains, I can find a use for it but at least it would be a good back up.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180211_184646.jpg
I'm thinking the warranty on these R200's is two years. Correct me if I'm wrong. Have you called them and reported this issue? I've spoke with them a few times and they seem receptive to helping us (especially since their business needs the good exposure) here on R2R.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 67 39.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 85 50.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back