Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse.

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone has luck with Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse? I had been through 3 of them and each one of them will only last between 1-3 weeks in QT. They will be eating great, PE Mysis, Rod's food and even pellets, then will stop eating and die within a few days. :sad:

I thought it was me, but found out a friend of mine also has the same issue.

If you don't mind sharing, let me know what's the longest you have you Rhomboid. I think I'm done with them for now, as I hate them dying in my tank and they are not cheap.

Thanks for any info you can share.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always did fine with eating and had them for months. I always kept mine in a more subdued lighting scheme due to the deeper depths these are usually collected. They both just liked the feel of carpet a little too much! I lost the second even with a screen on the tank.

kirkleigh84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse dont tollerate copper well. Did you qt them with copper. I lost 3 scotts and 1 labouti trying to qt in cuppramine. All my wrasse are put in an acclimation box inside of dt for a week and then realeased. Had no more problems.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse dont tollerate copper well. Did you qt them with copper. I lost 3 scotts and 1 labouti trying to qt in cuppramine. All my wrasse are put in an acclimation box inside of dt for a week and then realeased. Had no more problems.

plus one

OP
OP
96gts

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use prazipro in the QT. I also use an acclimation container when I do put fish from the QT to the display, but the Rhomboids never made it to that stage. I also had a couple of wrasses jumping out even with 1/4 screen, they made it through the small gaps around the return. The reason why I didn't want to add them directly into the display w/o QT is that I had lost more than 1/2 my fishes when I didn't QT a fish about 1 year ago. I might have to take the risk and do that with the Rhomboid if I ever want to try one again.

A Reef Creation

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one Rhomboid for three years and another for 2 years. I had a third in the same tank, but I sold him when he got too big and started fighting with the smaller ones. The two I still have are both males. They also fight a little, but don't hurt each other much. I have another in a different tank that I've had for a year.

Every day around 6 PM my larger male Rhomboid flashes in my 120 display tank. Here's a few shots from last month while he was showing off.

Rhomoid3.jpg

Rhomoid3_2.jpg

Rhomoid3_3.jpg

Rhomoid3_1.jpg

He really darts all over the tank so getting a good shot is tough.

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhomboids are one of my favorite fairy, along with the Lineatus and HI Flames. one of the keys of keeping one for a while is to find a healthy one from the start. make sure they are eating before you take him/them home. hopefully, you'll find one sooner or later. good luck.

OP
OP
96gts

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try the Rhomboid one last time, added one on Tuesday night. I added it into a acclimation container in the tank directly this time. It's slightly smaller than the last 2 I had, it's slightly smaller than 4", but it does has pretty nice coloration. It's eating great so far on PE Mysis and Rod's food, even started eating pellets yesterday. Wish me luck.

5146677610_23f883500f_z.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try the Rhomboid one last time, added one on Tuesday night. I added it into a acclimation container in the tank directly this time. It's slightly smaller than the last 2 I had, it's slightly smaller than 4", but it does has pretty nice coloration. It's eating great so far on PE Mysis and Rod's food, even started eating pellets yesterday. Wish me luck.

5146677610_23f883500f_z.jpg
good luck! sometimes, it's better to get a smaller one coz they are able to acclimate better. for my last 2, I purchased two females. and one of them is a sub male already.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one Rhomboid for three years and another for 2 years. I had a third in the same tank, but I sold him when he got too big and started fighting with the smaller ones. The two I still have are both males. They also fight a little, but don't hurt each other much. I have another in a different tank that I've had for a year.

Every day around 6 PM my larger male Rhomboid flashes in my 120 display tank. Here's a few shots from last month while he was showing off.

Rhomoid3.jpg

Rhomoid3_2.jpg

Rhomoid3_3.jpg

Rhomoid3_1.jpg

He really darts all over the tank so getting a good shot is tough.

Mine flashes in the evening every night as well. Improper decompression can cause them to have short lives in captivity. Some are brought up with a small gauge needle inserted in their swim bladder so that could introduce an infection. Best of luck, they are beautiful and unique.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is one sweet FATTTT Rhomboid!!!

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone has luck with Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse? I had been through 3 of them and each one of them will only last between 1-3 weeks in QT. They will be eating great, PE Mysis, Rod's food and even pellets, then will stop eating and die within a few days.

I don't know anything about this fish, but I'm wondering if your QT has hiding places? Many fish get stressed without hiding places.

OP
OP
96gts

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about this fish, but I'm wondering if your QT has hiding places? Many fish get stressed without hiding places.

I have some liverocks and pvc pipes in the QT.

OP
OP
96gts

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to move the Rhomboid into my QT. I want to remove a couple of fish before I release the Rhomboid into the display. He has fatten up quite a bit and doing well in Nano Cube 28Gal QT. Here's a pic I took a few days ago with my phone.

5184905833_4109ed6673_z.jpg

pac_island_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice male! Rhomboids have had some decompression issues through out the years resulting in bad batches here and there... They are very deep and there is limited room for error in bringing them up.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the first time in my hobby career i got a pair of golden rhoms. they died in a week for some reason??? one of them had head dived into the reefscape and was frozen stiff fins extended. can't find the female for a week....ALL other fish in tank A-OK.

OP
OP
96gts

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say that look like I am also losing this one. It started swimming funny on thanksgiving day. And has been swimming upside down since. It's still very alert, great coloration and still eating. I read online that it's the swim bladder, it's belly is also slightly swollen. I read online to try feed it some peeled peas yesterday, it ate them, but so far no help.

I have it for about 1 month, if it is related to decompression, will it takes that long to show symptom?

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear this 96gts. He is a beautiful specimen. It has to be very frustrating.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back