OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go to your fish thread, go to your browser at the top of your screen, right click, that highlights the address in blue, a window will pop up, select copy.
Then go to your post here, right click and select paste.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's because of the upgrade it's probably just had some die off from the rocks during the transfer or possibly some detritus kicked up and started rotting causing the spike. It's impossible to say for sure though.
Are you using the R2R app or the tapatalk app?

How's everyone's eels going today by the way? :)

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is impossible to say for sure I agree!

I'm using the R2R app. What about yourself?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss of your tang !

Did you notice if his gills were red or not ?

IF,....it was ammonia, it really burns their gill tissue, and very painful. Most will sink to the bottom
of the tank and lay sideways, as they can't fill their swim bladders, especially tangs.

Was he breathing fast ?
How was his eye's ?
How did his stomach look ?
And, fins ?

Last edited by a moderator:

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh Spinny is doing great :) Thanks... This evening I fed him a silverside and he took it with no problem and it was huge. Didn't know it was that big until he actually tried to pick it up. Then I tried feeding him a second one and he wasn't interested so I just took it out and didn't try again. But I'm so happy he is eating frozen food now :)

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and that's where I found him today at the bottom corner of the tank. His eyes looked fine and no he wasn't breathing fast. And his fins were fine as well. The only thing tht was strange was his tail looked nibbled because a little piece was coming off and of course he was extremely pale n skinny :/ since he wasn't eating.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is impossible to say for sure I agree!

I'm using the R2R app. What about yourself?

I use the app too. If you click the three dots up the top right had corner of the thread you can go to share and then message. From there you can copy and paste the link into another page to share it :)
But by the looks of it you already figured out how to share a link haha.

Sorry for the loss of your tang !

Did you notice if his lungs were red or not ?

IF,....it was ammonia, it really burns their lung tissue, and very painful. Most will sink to the bottom
of the tank and lay sideways, as they can't fill their swim bladders, especially tangs.

Was he breathing fast ?
How was his eye's ?
How did his stomach look ?
And, fins ?

+1 you'll often see reddish marks around the gill opening from ammonia burns. Not always, but often enough to mention here. Hopefully you can figure out exactly what happened.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol tyler1503 yea I finally figured it out lol
427HISS from the look of my tank now n how well everything else is doing Id def have to say it was prob the ammonia or stress that killed my tang. Umm I guess that's if stress can kill fishes lol idk. Everything is still doing ok in my tank n the 2 other fishes are eating and swimming around fine. Thank god it wasn't ich because as I was researching I heard tangs have tht a lot and ppl should always use a QT first which I have never done before but will start from now on.

Do any of you guys do that all the time to your new fishes even little ones, put them in a QT first for a few weeks?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used a QT in the past, but with my new build I will be QTing everything that enters the tank. From fish to corals to rock and sand. It's a great thing for the health of your livestock as, if done properly, should ensure no disease ever enters the DT :)
I was always lucky in the past and only ever lost a few fish to disease. But now that I know how to QT, plus I plan on some more expensive fish in the new set up, I won't be risking it this time around.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank parameters today ?

I'll tell ya, PLEASE,.....set up a QT !!!

Here's a little story back in my rookie days.

We bought a 55g system from a older couple, and she had a HUGE 7 year old Tomato Clown fish, large 6 year old Yellow Tang and a Blue Tang.
Torn it down and set back up in our house. Everything was great for weeks. We then bought a Naso Tang and two of our
two favorite fish's,......a 3" baby CLOWN TRIGGER and a beautiful Purple Tang !

When the LFS got in the Trigger, he was put in their tank, and was eating like
a champ, even Nori on a clip,.... which is unusual. We were so,... excited, that we just put them all in the 55g.

Guess what happened, the Naso had ick and ended up killing ALL the fish !
We were so sick, we almost gave up the hobby. :eek:oh:

Before that happened, we actually became good friends with the older couple, and she called and emailed
us for two weeks, but we felt so guilty about killing her fish, we just couldn't contact her.
Well, I kicked myself in the butt, and called her, and she was very nice about the situation and she felt
very sorry for us. We all love out fish (and some corals like out green Carpet Anemome) like we do family.

The Tang is the one that became ill first. We have a small 20g QT tank, but we did not want to place all of
them in that small size, so we just put them in the 55g. HUGE MISTAKE !!!!!!!!

So, we set up a 15g Hospital tank and a 40g QT. With Tangs being a carrier of ick etc. we put them in the
Hospital tank with half a dose of copper, for a week, then into the QT.
They stay in there for 4-6 weeks, then into the display.

If we had done that in the first place, I'm positive,....we would be enjoying all of those fish !

Not only did we loose the family fish, but a lot of money.

Then with the 55g having ick, we did not treat the tank with copper because of the few corals
that came with the setup and two anemone's, so we left it fishless for two months.

So again, PLEASE QT all,....your fish !!! :bigsmile:

Kevin

Last edited:

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aweee man yes that is awful n alot of money lost.... Yikes!

But clearly a big lesson learned and I've read a few stories like yours recently. I've never even heard of a Qt up until a few days ago when I started to try and find out what was wrong with my yellow tang. But from now on I will def. use my Qt first!

But when they are ready to leave the QT to go to the DT how is tht done exactly? Would you have to acclimate them again or can you just net them out of the QT to go to the DT?

I think Im going to start a new thread asking that question lol

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that 427HISS. It always sucks losing fish, especially when it something you eventually learn to prevent. I lost a few fish to disease by not QTing but not like that. It was a clown here and there and a couple of damsels. That was enough to make me wana start QT!
Use old DT water to fill the QT. That way you don't have to do a full acclimation. Just bag the fish and float them in the DT to equalise temp and your good to go :) you could add some DT water to the bag if you wana be on the safe side, but it's not necessary.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must of clicked on something to make tht message above appear but not sure what lol since that message was posted to another message I recieved lol.

Ok would there be any other way instead of bagging them again. I wouldn't really want to bag them again unless Id have too. And I'm a bit clumsy lol the whole trying to bag a fish wouldn't work well with me lol.

I'm assuming I can't just net the fish huh or try to scoop it up with a huge cup or something. Again all these thoughts might sound a bit silly but bare with me lol

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a food grade plastic container as long as it floats and no QT water ever enters the DT :)
Bags would be better as they are disposable so there's no chance of cross contamination, but a container will still work. I use food safe containers when I go diving so I can collet stuff for my tank and acclimate fish using them. I leave them to float for a little longer than when using bags though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back