Rimless Tanks!

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and I have discovered that I really like the look of the rimless tank design! I love the clean look of the tank. I plan on doing a 100gal tank to start with. The dimensions will be 48" x 24" x 18". I'd love to see some pictures of anyone who has a rimless tank setup! :D

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank 3.jpg

75 gallon rimless, new tank cycling now ....come on nitrates!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the look of rimless tanks!

One of the only downfalls I faced was how easy it is to splash water over the edges when you're working in the tank. It's worth it though if you like the look!

OP
OP
Ryan Moeller

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the look of rimless tanks!

One of the only downfalls I faced was how easy it is to splash water over the edges when you're working in the tank. It's worth it though if you like the look![/QUOT
Do you have any advice for a newbie? I've been adding all the prices up on paper of equipment and it's pretty daunting! I can understand why people are Leary of getting into the hobby. :oops:

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 3 grand in and I just put water in it, still have to purchase protein skimmer and flow!!!:eek:

OP
OP
Ryan Moeller

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 3 grand in and I just put water in it, still have to purchase protein skimmer and flow!!!:eek:
Yeah. I'm still deciding on if I want to jump in or not. Spending that kind of money to just get started makes me cringe

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I'm still deciding on if I want to jump in or not. Spending that kind of money to just get started makes me cringe
it is a tough choice for somebody starting out. I started out in this hobby in 98 and have built countless tanks ranging from 14 gallons to 150 gallons. I honestly think I enjoy the build just as much as a mature reef tank. I could only imagine how much money I spent in this hobby..... I would be retired by now . You could always look on craigslist for your starter tank so you could get your feet wet and decide if this is the hobby for you. Something in the 30 to 40 gallon range is a better price range when it comes to equipment cost and still gives a decent amount of water volume . Just a thought. But I warn you when that BUG hits, its all over , paycheck after paycheck more and more tank stuff!!! I tell my wife everything cost 5 dollars;) and she just says:rolleyes:

knukles55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you guys my 30 gallon deep blue rimless goes through 4 to 5gallons a week on top off water how many gallons are you guys going through?

OP
OP
Ryan Moeller

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a tough choice for somebody starting out. I started out in this hobby in 98 and have built countless tanks ranging from 14 gallons to 150 gallons. I honestly think I enjoy the build just as much as a mature reef tank. I could only imagine how much money I spent in this hobby..... I would be retired by now . You could always look on craigslist for your starter tank so you could get your feet wet and decide if this is the hobby for you. Something in the 30 to 40 gallon range is a better price range when it comes to equipment cost and still gives a decent amount of water volume . Just a thought. But I warn you when that BUG hits, its all over , paycheck after paycheck more and more tank stuff!!! I tell my wife everything cost 5 dollars;) and she just says:rolleyes:
Haha. Well, my wife is a banker and she's like a hawk with money.. Always on top of it! Lol

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you guys my 30 gallon deep blue rimless goes through 4 to 5gallons a week on top off water how many gallons are you guys going through?
my bio cube 14 (OPEN TOP) that has a kessil A160 over it goes through about a gallon a week. Right next to that tank is my new 75 gallon with the 6 bulb ATI T5 fixture and that evaporates just under a gallon a day! What lights are you running?

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got extremely lucky, I found the tank, plumbing, stand and sump and return pump for 350.
Just added sand rock and water this past weekend, and got the ATO hooked up. letting it run probably until the first week in July. Going to Vegas for a week, figure i should wait until I'm back before adding live stock.

All that's left is upgrading my skimmer and getting my Kessil. (the two most expensive parts lol)

OP
OP
Ryan Moeller

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got extremely lucky, I found the tank, plumbing, stand and sump and return pump for 350.
Just added sand rock and water this past weekend, and got the ATO hooked up. letting it run probably until the first week in July. Going to Vegas for a week, figure i should wait until I'm back before adding live stock.

All that's left is upgrading my skimmer and getting my Kessil. (the two most expensive parts lol)
I'm supposed to be going to Vegas in October. Lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back