RO/DI Storage question

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after repeatedly getting bad water from my LFS's I'm looking at getting myself a 4 stage BRS RO/DI setup to make my own water. I have a water volume between tank and sump of 50 gallons and I'd like to keep about 15 gallons stored for water changes and my ATO. I live in an apartment so I unfortunately can't get any large container for lack of a place to put one. But I have been looking at getting 2 or 3 of the blue 5 gallon jugs used for a water cooler. I was looking at Walmart and they have two options, one being considerably more expensive than the other. I see that the more expensive one says it's made from 100% food safe polycarbonate plastic and the other one only states BPA free. Am I going to run into issues storing my water in the cheaper jugs as opposed to the more expensive ones? The water will be stored indoors out of any direct sunlight and will only be RO/DI not mixed saltwater. Thank you in advance!

OP
OP
QuarantineReefer

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I figured had been overthinking it. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to cause myself any problems with my own setup that I'm seeing with buying my water. And I don't know why I didn't think of the buckets. I use the orange Home Depot buckets for mixing my water in.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are all guilty of overthinking no worries! I know right the first time I learned about the buckets was at a LFS I saw someone getting water with them and I had an ahhHa moment. As stated above you could also get a brute trash can from homedepot and store a larger amount of water in there as well.

OP
OP
QuarantineReefer

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon brute that I had gotten for my initial setup but it sits in outside storage on the balcony. I almost wish I had gotten a smaller size because it's not very practical for mixing how much water I use for water changes now. I think the buckets might be the hot ticket for me since they're stackable and would take up even less room that way in a corner. How did you go about cleaning your buckets out before you used them? I noticed in the one I use to mix my saltwater that it almost still has a bit of a chemical smell to it when I take the lid off of it after I store it from my previous water change. I dry it out completely before I put the lid on with paper towels and still seem to have an off smell when I open it up. I've not seen any ill effects in my tank, just curious.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon brute that I had gotten for my initial setup but it sits in outside storage on the balcony. I almost wish I had gotten a smaller size because it's not very practical for mixing how much water I use for water changes now. I think the buckets might be the hot ticket for me since they're stackable and would take up even less room that way in a corner. How did you go about cleaning your buckets out before you used them? I noticed in the one I use to mix my saltwater that it almost still has a bit of a chemical smell to it when I take the lid off of it after I store it from my previous water change. I dry it out completely before I put the lid on with paper towels and still seem to have an off smell when I open it up. I've not seen any ill effects in my tank, just curious.
I used RODI and citric acid to clean the buckets whenever I get paranoid from any odors.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back