RO/DI vs seachem safe

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
036AFEEB-EEF9-4D3A-BBDA-392C65C715E6.png
What about this

$105 for THAT? Jesus... BRS is making a killing.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kit I posted is refillable
True but it's kind of a ripoff IMO @ $105

Just to give you some perspective.

A canister is about $16 X 2 = $32

A refillable cartridge is about $10 X 2 = $20

DI resin $15 for 1lb. Enough to fill 2 cartridges

Who cares that the BRS unit has the inline TDS meter anyway? Those things are not accurate and kinda useless IMO when compared to a handheld TDS meters.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have the refillable ones and I've used and refilled in the past. I would rather buy the already filled cartridges.

The time and effort saved is worth the expense to me. It equals less time maintaining another aspect of the tanks and more time enjoying with the family.

OP
OP
demonbarber09

demonbarber09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about with a tds meter because they have one without the meter for $64

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This equates to ~$65 plus tax. Your forgetting the included TDS meter which I think BRS sells for $30 bucks. So altogether ~95 plus tax. Plus then your time to assemble and plumb.

While definitely an easy task to accomplish it's a wash as far as money and time spent. If you want the learning experience buy it and build yourself. It's definitely not a bad option and will help you grow in the hobby.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all so I just got into the hobby and recently bought a reverse osmosis. My question is do I also need DI system because my buddy who has tanks told me not to get the DI and just use seachem safe. I’m not sure if should just get DI anyway.
I see this as a need/want/best practice discussion.

Warning! Assumptions are made below...

Do you need DI resin? No
Do you want the best water possible? Yes
Will you achieve a higher success rate consistently using higher quality water? Yes

So I suggest that you get the DI.

If there is nothing in your water, then you won't consume any DI resin and it will be a nice validation that you did not need it.

If you do consume DI resin, then you have validation that you did indeed make better water for your tank.

Municipal water supply systems vary all of the time. So even if you don't need it today, you may need it tomorrow. DI is a nice insurance policy in that regard.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes with a tds meter and refillable cartridge
the inline TDS meters are not accurate
This equates to ~$65 plus tax. Your forgetting the included TDS meter which I think BRS sells for $30 bucks. So altogether ~95 plus tax. Plus then your time to assemble and plumb.

While definitely an easy task to accomplish it's a wash as far as money and time spent. If you want the learning experience buy it and build yourself. It's definitely not a bad option and will help you grow in the hobby.

I prefer to DIY wherever possible because like you stated it teaches me how things work that way I know what to do when things break.

OP
OP
demonbarber09

demonbarber09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I prefer to DIY wherever possible because like you stated it teaches me how things work that way I know what to do when things break.

This is basically what you recommend but I do it’s good to know how to troubleshoot

Attachments

• 04827FBC-A450-426A-BC37-6E43A6B9F74E.png
    04827FBC-A450-426A-BC37-6E43A6B9F74E.png
    482.1 KB · Views: 29

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The HM TDS meters are accurate enough for our uses, however, the HM DM-2 is more accurate and an overall nicer unit in my opinion.

DIY is a great tool for learning and growing both in and out of this hobby. I've done enough RO and general plumbing that me personally would just pay for the already assembled unit. @demonbarber09 will have to decide for himself if he wants to pay for it already assembled or go the DIY route, DIY is a learning experience, but cost will essentially be a wash so not a good DIY to try saving money. Especially once you factor in fittings, and a bracket which weren't priced above.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is basically what you recommend but I do it’s good to know how to troubleshoot
Also if you DIY don't forget the tubing and if you want to save yourself a minor headache spend the 5 or bucks on the RO tube cutter. It beats using a razor blade. But then again you are a demon barbor so I'm sure your great with a razor!! ;) :p

OP
OP
demonbarber09

demonbarber09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you DIY don't forget the tubing and if you want to save yourself a minor headache spend the 5 or bucks on the RO tube cutter. It beats using a razor blade. But then again you are a demon barbor so I'm sure your great with a razor!! ;) :p
lol yes I am good with a blade but also have a tube cutter. I will have a busy weekend cleaning the tank setting up an ro/di

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol yes I am good with a blade but also have a tube cutter. I will have a busy weekend cleaning the tank setting up an ro/di

Been there! ROs look and sound more complicated then they actually are!

Looking forward to the tank/build as you progress through the setup stages!

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah RO/DI is actually very simple. Think of it as just pushing water from one end through to the other and you're just adding the filters between the stages.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depending on the resulting RO water (I would suggest testing your product water for TDS) you may only need 1 DI canister.

I only use 1 for mine since my product RO water reads very low at 5-10 TDS

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back