Rockflower spawning

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 6 rockflowers in my tank and it finally happened. I might become a daddy. I've been watching the UFC fights tonight and as I go to get something I walk by my tank and see my rockflower standing straight up(lol) and spewing stuff out. At first I thought 'oh no something happened to my parameters' then took a closer look and noticed it was thinner, a lot more coming out then I've ever seen a coral spit up zooxanthellae. I then turned the lights on to make sure what I was seeing was white and sure enough it was. So my little guy is all grown up lol.
Sorry for the little flash in the first video was shocked when I saw this.
Does anyone know how long this lasts?
20200815_201602.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishurama, a friend (Peace River here at R2R) and I are running RFA breeding tanks and trying to document some of what we find. There is VERY little scientific data about RFAs other than marine biologists cutting them open to see inside.

In my 16g RFA breeding tank we have had 5 spawning events like you just witnessed. They always seem to happen between 6:30 pm and 8:30 pm. The spawning seems to last about 15 minutes to half an hour or a bit longer. You were observant to notice the RFA stretched up as it was getting ready to spawn. It's just my best guess, but I think this is to try and get the spawn up higher off the sand or rock surface and into the water current. So it can be carried off to other RFA females.

In your post you didn't say how many RFAs you have in your tank? RFA come in male and female and there is no way to tell them apart from outside. It's even possible they could be hermaphrodites or able to change sex. The scientific literature is unclear (to me). ;Hilarious;Hilarious

If you have more RFAs in the tank, it's possible you may have a female. We have absolutely no scientific data, and only very sketchy anecdotal data about how long gestation is for the female. My best data is that it could be as short as 35 to 40 days, or as short as 10 to 15 days. This is the one piece of data I really want to pin down. But the first time my RFAs spawned, I had 3 spawning events over 18 days, spread evenly apart by 9 days. Then I had a few babies delivered just about a month (I'd have to check my data) after the first spawn. But there is no way to tell which of the 3 spawns was responsible for the babies and they were the only babies I got.

The other data point that we are working to get is the number of babies per female. I had several releases of babies in my DT before I started paying close attention and started the RFA breeding tank. I had numbers like 10, 15 and 20 when they were in the big DT. But the event in the RFA breeding tank only delivered 3 babies. And there is some anecdotal evidence that members here have seen releases of many more than I have seen, possibly as many as 50 or more!

You might find these threads of interest and you are more than welcome to join in and offer your evidence and data.

and
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-rock-flower-experience.409436/

OP
OP
Fishurama

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishurama, a friend (Peace River here at R2R) and I are running RFA breeding tanks and trying to document some of what we find. There is VERY little scientific data about RFAs other than marine biologists cutting them open to see inside.

In my 16g RFA breeding tank we have had 5 spawning events like you just witnessed. They always seem to happen between 6:30 pm and 8:30 pm. The spawning seems to last about 15 minutes to half an hour or a bit longer. You were observant to notice the RFA stretched up as it was getting ready to spawn. It's just my best guess, but I think this is to try and get the spawn up higher off the sand or rock surface and into the water current. So it can be carried off to other RFA females.

In your post you didn't say how many RFAs you have in your tank? RFA come in male and female and there is no way to tell them apart from outside. It's even possible they could be hermaphrodites or able to change sex. The scientific literature is unclear (to me). ;Hilarious;Hilarious

If you have more RFAs in the tank, it's possible you may have a female. We have absolutely no scientific data, and only very sketchy anecdotal data about how long gestation is for the female. My best data is that it could be as short as 35 to 40 days, or as short as 10 to 15 days. This is the one piece of data I really want to pin down. But the first time my RFAs spawned, I had 3 spawning events over 18 days, spread evenly apart by 9 days. Then I had a few babies delivered just about a month (I'd have to check my data) after the first spawn. But there is no way to tell which of the 3 spawns was responsible for the babies and they were the only babies I got.

The other data point that we are working to get is the number of babies per female. I had several releases of babies in my DT before I started paying close attention and started the RFA breeding tank. I had numbers like 10, 15 and 20 when they were in the big DT. But the event in the RFA breeding tank only delivered 3 babies. And there is some anecdotal evidence that members here have seen releases of many more than I have seen, possibly as many as 50 or more!

You might find these threads of interest and you are more than welcome to join in and offer your evidence and data.

and
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-rock-flower-experience.409436/

Thank you very much for the reply :) I agree with you on why it was standing up, it was 100 percent trying to get its "spawn" up into the current. I actually did say how many RFAs I have, which is 6. :) 4 being babies I recently got about 2 months ago. They are in my 120, on the far side of this one most are grouped together. Your timing is correct and your research seems good so far. I noticed this happening around 8:15pm and it went on for another 15 minutes or so. So at minimum it went 15 minutes, plus whatever i didnt see. I will make sure to date any babies if found to help add to your research. I also recently changed my lighting(whites) from 10 to 12 hours and added another hour of blues if that matters to your research which could have possibly aided in triggering it thinking it's "time to spawn."

My babies lol

20200811_142014.jpg
20200811_142002.jpg
20200811_142007.jpg
20200815_172843.jpg

Back