Rollercoaster

swervinscoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet has shown back up in both systems. I believe airborne transfer as one has had no new additions. Many fish died very quickly unfortunately and this hurts, to me these fish are named pets and I try to do everything to give them the best life possible.

The system that I believe started the problem as it showed the first signs did get new corals and some inverts that I did not QT (I guess I will be doing an invert QT system now as well). This system did not get new fish.

After reading many posts on here and many articles online including the study done by UF, I started dosing H202 in the display tanks @1 ML per 8 gallons every 12 hrs for 3 days then going to same dose extended to 24hrs for 4 days. Going for a 1 week treatment at the end going to run my carbon reactor and do a big water change, also dosing back in beneficial bacteria (microbacter) and eco balance for the probiotics. Also running a UV full time on the bigger system (230gal and 125gal)

This is day 1 and noticing a difference in fish behavior for the better. I will keep you updated on how this goes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Velvet has shown back up in both systems. I believe airborne transfer as one has had no new additions. Many fish died very quickly unfortunately and this hurts, to me these fish are named pets and I try to do everything to give them the best life possible.

The system that I believe started the problem as it showed the first signs did get new corals and some inverts that I did not QT (I guess I will be doing an invert QT system now as well). This system did not get new fish.

After reading many posts on here and many articles online including the study done by UF, I started dosing H202 in the display tanks @1 ML per 8 gallons every 12 hrs for 3 days then going to same dose extended to 24hrs for 4 days. Going for a 1 week treatment at the end going to run my carbon reactor and do a big water change, also dosing back in beneficial bacteria (microbacter) and eco balance for the probiotics. Also running a UV full time on the bigger system (230gal and 125gal)

This is day 1 and noticing a difference in fish behavior for the better. I will keep you updated on how this goes.
Peroxide is hit and miss. Another option which is reef safe is Ruby Rally Pro.
If you are seeing results as detailed- see how it goes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Velvet, (Amyloodinium) can be transferred between tanks on anything wet. The propagules are small, so there is also the less likely route of it becoming airborne.

What is your target dose for H2O2? What percentage peroxide are you using? There is a LOT of bad information out there for using it.

Running UV in conjunction with peroxide is problematic. I hear two things: 1) it breaks down the peroxide. 2) It changes the peroxide into some "special" substance that works even better. I'm not a chemist, but there is certainly a reaction between peroxide and UV.

The core issue with peroxide, is that how long it persists in an aquarium, and how much is available to kill parasites is wholly dependent on the organic loading in an aquarium, and that value changes with each peroxide addition! You really cannot effectively dose peroxide without knowing the residual amount from each dose. I use a low range peroxide test strip.

Copper is the best treatment for true velvet, but it must be caught soon, in that fish die so quickly from velvet, that even copper doesn't have time to work. Ruby Reef works for FW velvet, not so much for the marine version (a different species).

Jay

OP
OP
swervinscoot

swervinscoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet, (Amyloodinium) can be transferred between tanks on anything wet. The propagules are small, so there is also the less likely route of it becoming airborne.

What is your target dose for H2O2? What percentage peroxide are you using? There is a LOT of bad information out there for using it.

Running UV in conjunction with peroxide is problematic. I hear two things: 1) it breaks down the peroxide. 2) It changes the peroxide into some "special" substance that works even better. I'm not a chemist, but there is certainly a reaction between peroxide and UV.

The core issue with peroxide, is that how long it persists in an aquarium, and how much is available to kill parasites is wholly dependent on the organic loading in an aquarium, and that value changes with each peroxide addition! You really cannot effectively dose peroxide without knowing the residual amount from each dose. I use a low range peroxide test strip.

Copper is the best treatment for true velvet, but it must be caught soon, in that fish die so quickly from velvet, that even copper doesn't have time to work. Ruby Reef works for FW velvet, not so much for the marine version (a different species).

Jay
So I wanted to see how things went for a few days to have a report to come back with. Good news to be honest, no signs of velvet on any of the remaining fish. I did loose 1 more fish and it was in bad shape when I started. All corals and anemones are still happy, no invert losses including the starfish. Still running UV and will be finishing up dosing Sunday. Then will do a large water change and run the carbon reactor.

I will also be dosing back in beneficial bacteria to renew the population.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back