Rookie dream build Reefer s1000

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

This is going to be a very fun build and probably not the best idea I have ever had. ;)
I have not been around fish tanks in over 15+ years I have owned a few but nothing to crazy. The most advanced tank I had was the first RSM250 haha and that was a good time.
So this will be a very expensive test or it will be something I have always wanted. With that said this build will be mixed with new and used parts. I will rely on this Forum to get me going and give me the updated knowledge I will need to be successful. I have already read tons of post here and the builds are insane. I cant wait to see how much reading can actually help a rookie that knows pretty much nothing but how to do water changes and test my perimeters.

This will be a test at how much I can learn and enjoy or how much money I can toss out to the door. Bottom line is that I'm getting old and need something to keep my mind at ease and busy haha. Fish tanks are the only thing that can really take my mind and other distraction away and make everything seem at ease.. Of course until you get to deal with all the fun stuff fish tanks can bring you like PH drops Algae breaks out and much more.

I know a lot of people are scared to just jump into this however lets see how good I can make this work and let others know if its a waste of time on my dime...

Now to the good stuff.

I have placed my order for my s1000 Nov 15th still waiting for the updated email phone call to tell me it has shipped ;)

Here is what I have so far for the tank
Planning to run mixed reef more LPS and softie's with some SPS

Tank: RedSea Reefer S1000 white
Carib Sea Sand: 7 bags of Pink Fiji , 3 bags of special grade sand - Might be to much however i was shipped extra by mistake
Salt: Coral Pro salt
RO/DI: 6 stage Spectra Pure
Return Pump: Used Reef Octopus Varios 8 - I'm hoping this can get me by as its 2700 GPH and the tank ask for 2800GPH not sure though if not I will get the Vectra L2 like most run in this.
Wave Pumps: Used Reef wave 45 x 2 , Apex Wave x3
Monitoring System: Used Apex system with trident
Dosing pump: ATI 6 stage
Lights: 2x XR15 pro G5 diffuser, 2x XR30 Pro G5 diffuser
Skimmer: RSM 600 - to small not sure I know most are running the 900?
Rock: 150 pounds of rock I bought from a used tank that was fully running for years tons of life - currently have it sitting in a tub with heater pump and light hopefully it keeps it good until my tank arrives.

This is what I have so far and as I continue to read on this site my pockets get smaller and smaller haha.
Thanks to all of you that have posted your tanks It has helped me a lot so far with how I wanted to move forward with this tank.

Lets see how a rookie can do with this epic tank. With this site and all of your help I'm sure it will be successful build out..

Happy Holidays to all

Updates to come once the tank arrives...

OP
OP
W

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well last night had a pleasant surprise. I have been trying to trade my buddie next store for his corals that he has been trying to sell from his current xl525 setup before he moves out of state. He sold his lights and pumps last night and told me that I could use his tank and my pumps lights etc. to keep all of his live stock alive until my tank shows up then transfer all live stock and corals then sell his tank for him. In return I keep the live stock and corals for free.. Well long story short do not tell me twice I moved that sucker over last night and now have it sitting in my office space that my 1000 will sit. ;) did I bite to much now? Will this make it more fun?
I have helped him pick out a lot of the stuff in his tank that I would have wanted in my tank so it works out.

Now my plan of attack has changed in a big way.

After reading on this forum I really cant tell what is the best way to go as far as transferring current live sand live stock and corals into my new tank. I found a really good write up on this here and its still a 50/50 mix up some move all the sand some do not move any from the old tanks. my thought is I will use maybe 15% of the old sand and mix it with my new.

That will be the worst of my worries now the big questions is when the new tank arrives what will I do? Now that I will have to break this tank down move all live stock into bins move this tank out and then move the new one in and transfer all live stock into new tank. I found @reefin_with_the_fam thread and looks like he did that same thing I will have to do. So I might follow his attack plan :)

Here is what I scored on.
All corals are WWC corals

Red Bubble Tips: 7 total to many for me I will only keep the larger one.
toadstool: 1 large one
Zoos : 4 different kinds some wild colors
Candy cane: 1 nice size colony
Bubble Coral: 1 nice size colony
Banana Hammock: 1
Rainbow Pocillopora: 1
Green Pocillopora: 1
Montipora: 8 different kinds all colors looks really nice.
Large Frog Spawn: 1
large hammer : 1
GSP: Rock
Mushrooms all over
Christmas Favia: 1
Pink Lady Goniopora: 1 one of my fav
Sloth Acropora: 1
Citrus Skittles Ricordea Mushroom: 8
Green Digitata Montipora: 1
Nightmare Before Christmas Alveopora: 1
Jingle Bells Cyphastrea: 1
Baby's Breath Goniopora: 1 insane looking
Sub Zero Tenuis Acropora: 1
Maxima Clam Ultra: 1
Duncans: 1
Tiffany Ring Acan: 1
RainBow acan: 1
Green Purple Acan: 1
Teal Acan: 1
Elegance: 1
and more that Im not sure the names of .

Live Stock

Purple Tang: 1
Brown Tang: 1
Diamond yellow head Goby: 1
Watchmen Goby paired with Shrimp: 1
Wyoming white clown fish: 2 One male one Juvenile
Peculiar Clown Fish: 1 female
Leopard Wrasse: 1 Female
Midas Blenny: 1

This is the list for now but most of this is stuff I wanted so I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

here is a photo of the xl 525 sitting in my space now with my lights pumps etc... glad that everything is working as expected.. man what a task that was last night my back is killing me and man oh man cant wait to do this all over again X2 in a few weeks. I just tossed everything in this tank so might not look the best ..

IMG_2117.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 76

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, my s-1000 is sitting in my garage.
I ordered it in June and it was delivered the last week of September, the last time I checked with my dealer they said it was an even longer wait.

keep us updated!

OP
OP
W

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I hope I do not have to wait that long o_O

I called RS and also asked a few local stores to call I was told 2-4 weeks for manufacturing then 7-10 days for it to ship.
The LFS also told me the same however you know how that sales tactic goes. With my luck I will get it next year DEC and by that time the tank will be 500 less haha.

I was really hoping it would get here before Christmas as my son is home from the Navy and would really enjoy setting this up with him.

Guess time will tell

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading trying to find the best setup and spacing for the lights I will use on the s-1000. I have 2 Xr30 Pro and 2 XR15 pro I plan to run a mixed tank.

After reading and watching the BRS videos on both the XR30 and the XR15 spacing and light setup I think I'm more confused now on how I should set these up.

First thought spacing and where do the xr30 sit vs the xr15.. At first I thought I would have both xr30 in the middle of tank and the xr15 on the outside however that has now changed to having One xr30 in the middle and the other on the outside.

I know the best thing to do will be to get a PAR meter and test however In suspense of waiting on this tank I'm trying to figure out a good base line on how the lights should sit first then rent a par meter once the tank is up and running.

Any thoughts here on how you would space out 2 XR30 Pro and 2 XR 15 Pro on the s-1000?
I probably went to crazy on the XR30 as I'm not really planning to run to much SPS corals maybe 25% however I was able to get 2 for 800 on offer up brand new in the box.

All the post I have found on here for the s1000 do not have the mix in XR like I do they either stick with the xr15 or the xr30s. Other tanks on here do not have the same overall length of the S-1000 at 83 inch so that one is mixing me up as well : ) as the thread states Rookie over here just trying to have some fun in this wild hobby .

thanks all

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is going to use 2x 36" aquatic life T5 Hybrid fixtures with 4x Xr15 pro's.
I will never setup another tank with out using a hybrid system, it was 2 maybe 3 years ago now when i first tried the hybrid setup vs straight radions. in the first 3 months of using the hybrid I had more growth then the entire previous year, added bonus is that I was only using half the amount of LED fixtures as I was before.

Hybrid fixture with a combo of coral plus and blue plus bulbs is my recommendation.

Otherwise if you are going to use straight LED fixtures then you would need 5x XR30 fixtures setup in a front to back orientation, you might get away with 4 if your scape has a good amount of empty space at each end.

OP
OP
W

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well a little upset my tank did not arrive yet. guess the ones that put there orders in a few days before me have got there's today. This is not making my day write now as I think now I will be back in the 2-4 week wait as I missed that batch by 1-2 days... I hate to wait and almost makes me want to return it now and get the CADE ... I knew this was going to happen they tell me 2 weeks 4 max and now here we go hahaha....

OP
OP
W

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no good news today just heard back and the s-850 and s-1000 are all out until Feb 2022.
Man this makes me so upset we called at least 5 different places before we purchased the tank.. they all told us they called Redsea and redsea told them no wait in stock 2-4 weeks before they arrive.

Now my house is tore apart no tanking showing up until Feb the wife is ticked off since now we cant finish the rebuild of the living room and I have to figure out what we are going to do with our guest on Christmas ... Unreal Redsea thanks a ton for the bad info on the time out for these tanks....

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no good news today just heard back and the s-850 and s-1000 are all out until Feb 2022.
Man this makes me so upset we called at least 5 different places before we purchased the tank.. they all told us they called Redsea and redsea told them no wait in stock 2-4 weeks before they arrive.

Now my house is tore apart no tanking showing up until Feb the wife is ticked off since now we cant finish the rebuild of the living room and I have to figure out what we are going to do with our guest on Christmas ... Unreal Redsea thanks a ton for the bad info on the time out for these tanks....
Oof. :( This illustrates why I'm leaning towards a custom tank build vs buying the S1000 for my next tank.

OP
OP
W

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof. :( This illustrates why I'm leaning towards a custom tank build vs buying the S1000 for my next tank.
I know I'm really thinking about telling them to give me my money back and go find something else. I really do not look forward to hearing the wife for next few months about her living room being tore apart.. Took me for ever to even get her to allow the tank in the house and now this......... good times for sure....

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes no sense, i just ordered a 850s a few weeks ago from my LFS and it showed up yesterday....

OP
OP
W

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes no sense, i just ordered a 850s a few weeks ago from my LFS and it showed up yesterday....
Really then the place i ordered from is pulling my chain maybe???.. Maybe they screwed up and forgot to place my order??? really ticked off about this to be honest ....

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really then the place i ordered from is pulling my chain maybe???.. Maybe they screwed up and forgot to place my order??? really ticked off about this to be honest ....
Dang yah I would be bummed also sir. Maybe it's just the 1000s?

Attachments

• 20211215_142700.jpg
    20211215_142700.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
W

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang yah I would be bummed also sir. Maybe it's just the 1000s?
not what they told me .. I had a nice long call with them they even went as far to tell me there is not one 850 or 1000 available any where in the states at this time and wont be until mid Jan 2022...

OP
OP
W

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all hope everyone had a great Holiday..

I have just been over here dreaming about my tank haha..
I have another question for you all... Even though I have been reading a lot about on this I'm still not fully sure on what to do.

(rock placement direct on the glass or on something else)

I currently have 1 Diamond Goby and 1 Watchmen goby shrimp pair. Im also thinking about getting a engineer goby pair for this tank..

In the past I have always put my rock directly on the glass to limit any cave in. However when I do this it also makes less room for the goby's to burrow under the rock rock.

I do not want to raise the rock up to much but was thinking I could use some egg create only little peace's on the points of the rock that would be touching the glass if laid flat. This would limit the amount of build up as I would be using very small peace's. My only thought about this is will the rock shift or slide or will the weight of the rock and sand stop it from moving?

Or is this over think and the fish are fine and will just setup home where they can?

Thank you,

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'm a big fan of using the Marco base rock directly on the glass bottom. It's super stable and you can still design caves and places for the fish to burrow and hide.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back