RUM Barrel for RO water storage

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 55 gal blue barrel of craigslist, that was used to store rum. I want to use it to store RO water for water changes and ATO. Its gonna sit in the backyard under the shade of the house. How to I go about cleaning it for use I washed it today with garden hose and its drying out at the moment.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melev at a speaking engagement, recommended water and light bleach. then let it sit in the sun do detox the bleach.
It might be on his website. Melevs reefs.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with salty, I might add to do rinse with R/O as well. R/O is great at picking up materials from it's container so I might let it pick up any errant bleach or anything willing to leach in the first batch, then dump or use as gardening water and use the next batches for fish.

OP
OP
sonubhai

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, let me try that. I will go home and check to see what it looks like after last nights washing. If it dosent smell I would think its ready. to put RO water on

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use too much bleach or it will stick to the plastic. Fresh bleach is 30,000 to 50,000 PPM or 3% to 5% strength. It only takes 12 ounces of bleach to make 50 gallons of a 100 PPM solution. More is not better in this case. Believe it or not, chlorein is only partially soluble in water which is why you get a slimy feel with too much bleach.
If you wanted to treat 50 gallons to a 1 PPM drinking water level it would only take 0.13 ounces or about 1/10 of one ounce!
http://ndep.nv.gov/bsdw/docs/disinfect_drinking_water.pdf

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good option is distilled white vinegar. It is a weak acid so cleans well and is reef safe. I use vinegar on all my pumps every couple of months and they come out like new. Don't even have to rinse well if you don't want to.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good option is distilled white vinegar. It is a weak acid so cleans well and is reef safe. I use vinegar on all my pumps every couple of months and they come out like new. Don't even have to rinse well if you don't want to.
Good point there, at worst it slightly lowers your pH. Hard to go wrong with something people dose their aquariums with already.

peterj66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that the rum is all that dangerous to fish either. A lot of people dose a combination of vodka,vinegar and sugar to lower nitrates. A good rinsing should be sufficient.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably will never get all the smell out if it was used for very long. I used to get 5 g buckets that pickles came in and the smell never went away.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 43 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.2%
Back