OP
K1Reef

K1Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand , that's all I have right now. Dry rock. Also have kalk 2 which I'll be dosing.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't bother with the kalk until you have corals in the tank. With dry rock there will be very little die off so go get yourself a piece of uncooked table shrimp and toss it into the tank. This will give the bacteria something to start processing.

Skimmer is optional as there really isn't much to skim out at this point. Same goes for lights as that will just promote algae growth during the cycle. Keep up with the water flow and leave lights and skimmer off. Turn on the skimmer when you see the parameters start to dwindle down a bit. Turn on the lights after you see the diatom bloom (brown algae).

No need to waste electricity on the cycle right?

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine through the cycle and I also ran the lights. I know people who have done both. Worked well for me both times I have done it.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my skimmer with no lights. Do what you want or makes you feel most comfortable. My cycle took 8 weeks until I felt comfortable putting a pair of black clowns in.

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light off and skimmer off are good during cycle. The cycle normally finished around 4 weeks but some tank need more. The best way to know is test water after 3-4 weeks.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest running the skimmer for the cycle. Lights are optional. The skimmer will help clean the water as well as oxygenate it.

OP
OP
K1Reef

K1Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update * I've been ruining the skimmer to break it in and I'm having problems dialing it in. My tank details:
150g display / 50 gal sump (working level) and water line is at 8.5 inches which is within the optimum water level suggested by the manufacturer. Skimmer is Reef Octopus xs250. Still in early stages of cycling tank. It's been running for about a week.

I'm getting heavy bubble flow into the collection cup causing water to accumulate. Is this because their is a lack of skimmate during cycle? or is their a way to adjust the gate valve to reduce water from coming in? It is currently in the open position, the more I close it , the more bubbles and water accumulate in the collection cup. Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334604020.637043.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334604020.637043.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 461

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with reef octopus but if it's too "wet" then turn the gate valve the other way. There shouldn't be much to skim now because there isn't much creating waste. So I would dial the valve back until there aren't many bubbles getting into the cup and the bubbles are brown or darker in color.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably still breaking in. Just leave the gate valve all the east open for about a week or so.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back