Safe to keep more than one Exquisite Fairy Wrasse?

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an exquisite fairy wrasse from Africa but was wondering if I can add another one from a different region, i.e. Vanuatu. The tank is 6ft long and is 125gals. I have heard of aggression issues but I absolutely love the color/beauty of exquisite wrasses. Anyone have any experience housing more than 1 exquisite fairy wrasse?

Thanks

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you have to keep them in pairs or 1 male with 1-3 females. Males will probably fight each other.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative Ghost Rider!

A pair will very likely become two males in time and that will not end well unless the tank is very large. Get males of multiple species you like rather than more than one of a particular species. Wrasse don't pair and the Cirrhilabrus, Halichoeres, and Paracheilinus almost always transition to males in our aquariums.

If you want to save money you can buy females as they will eventually transition to males and you get to watch the change. Some species are very hard to find as females though. The ones that aren't are the more expensive ones any way. Flame wrasse, Rhomboids are two that come to mind.

Now the fun part....picking out which species you like!

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative Ghost Rider!

A pair will very likely become two males in time and that will not end well unless the tank is very large. Get males of multiple species you like rather than more than one of a particular species. Wrasse don't pair and the Cirrhilabrus, Halichoeres, and Paracheilinus almost always transition to males in our aquariums.

If you want to save money you can buy females as they will eventually transition to males and you get to watch the change. Some species are very hard to find as females though. The ones that aren't are the more expensive ones any way. Flame wrasse, Rhomboids are two that come to mind.

Now the fun part....picking out which species you like!

Picking is so hard lol. Any reef safe wrasses you'd recommend then? I wish I could house all the exquisite wrasses but by the responses that would be bad news lol

Also if I understood correctly, being in the same genus doesnt matter right? As long as not the same species, correct?

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking is so hard lol. Any reef safe wrasses you'd recommend then? I wish I could house all the exquisite wrasses but by the responses that would be bad news lol

Also if I understood correctly, being in the same genus doesnt matter right? As long as not the same species, correct?
I'm sure @evolved will get on here - but you are correct. Mix fairies, mix em with flashers and possibly some others, but don't get a second exquisite.
There is a sticky post about wrasses in the general fish forum with info about mixing genus. And here is your chart for fairies. There is probably a newer edition, but its the one I have bookmarked and almost memorized.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back