Salifert Test Kit Users.... Help!

Mr. Krabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for Salifert test kit users.

I use the Salifert Ca, KH/ALK, and Mg test kits. When drawing the last reagent into the long thin syringe for each of the test kits, the instructions state, ".. Put the the plastic tip on the 1ml syringe. And draw..the reagant till the lower end of the black part of the piston is exactly at the 1ml mark." Each time I draw the reagent on any of the test kits, to the 1ml mark as instructed, I come up with varying actual liquid amounts in the syringe fluctuating from .8ml-.85ml (Ca/ALK), and .88ml-.92ml (Mg). As a result, my test readings vary. I haven't compared my Salifert test results to any other kits yet.

How do you deal with the fluctuations of reagent in the syringe? Do you draw a specific/consistent amount of reagent vs using the "piston" at the 1ml mark?

Or, am I doing somethng wrong????

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your tip is pressed firmly in. I also average about .15 ml of air(.85mL) when I point the syringe up on the cal and alk kits. If you are only off a couple 1/100ths that is only a couple ppm anyways, I believe it is 5 ppm per 1/100th of a mL. I just aim for .15 to .16 of air. Just mess around with it with regular tank H2O to get a feel for it. I just take it nice and slow.

As for the Mg, I don't have one.

re-fin-away

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also thought this was strange that they say that the test allows for air pocket but they dont tell you what it should be. Mine is somewhere around .82 to.84 each timeI use it.

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also thought this was strange that they say that the test allows for air pocket but they dont tell you what it should be. Mine is somewhere around .82 to.84 each timeI use it.

Yeah, you think that they would give you the number that it is supposed to be.

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only use the mag one and i put the tip on good and tight and never took it back off it stays right at about the same for me

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting. I have never even noticed a difference in the amount of air in the syringe but now will be lookin for it. One thing... are you careful to draw the solution slowly into the syringe? I suppose they couldn't say how much air should be inside due to differing air pressure at different locations.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the liquid mark actually matters. If you really wanted to you could fill the syringe, turn it upside down and get the air out. then fill it the rest of the way with liquid, but it won't make a difference.

OP
OP
Mr. Krabs

Mr. Krabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you think that they would give you the number that it is supposed to be.

That's what I find odd also. Maybe I'm splitting hairs but if the test kit fluctuates my reaction is to tweek my Ca reactor, and the roller coaster ride begins! The test results would be more accurate and consistent if you used the same reference point each time you tested. I've been pulling the reagent to the .8 mark, regardless of where the plunger is just so I can get consistent results. My concern is are my actual Ca/ALK/Mg levels consistently low or high as a result of using the wrong reagent level? I'm going to buy the Elos test kits tomorrow and do a comparison. I'll post my findings.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull the plunger to the 1ml line like it says to do. Even if the liquid is at a different hash mark, the air in the tube compensates for the difference weather it's .8 or.85. There is no difference unless you are using more than 1ml for your test, which would mean your levels are way to high anyway. Does anyone get what I'm saying ?

OP
OP
Mr. Krabs

Mr. Krabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull the plunger to the 1ml line like it says to do. Even if the liquid is at a different hash mark, the air in the tube compensates for the difference weather it's .8 or.85. There is no difference unless you are using more than 1ml for your test, which would mean your levels are way to high anyway. Does anyone get what I'm saying ?

I was with you up to the 1ml mark on the plunger!:wink: Bascially, Reagent + air (in the syringe) = 1ml. If you use the plunger as the reference point for your final reading, with varying amounts of actual reagent (.80-.85ml) as a starting point, your actual readings will fluctuate as well by that same amount, right? Let's look at an example; If I want to maintain a 8dKH ALK level, I should strive for a .50ml reading. If I start off with a syringe liquid level varying between .80-.85ml, how do I know if I'm reading low-dead on-high?

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how the result will vary, but I would like to see your comparison when you get the other test kit.
I think you should fill the syringe to the 1ml mark with reagent and see if your results vary. I have tested both ways and I got the same results.

jledon4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the air that you see on the syringe is the one that was contained in the added tip, the syringe is calibrated without the tip... if you take the piston to the 1ml mark and then pour it into another measuring device, your amount of reagent is going to be 1ml. the amount of air in the syringe doesn't matter! the amount of reagent added will be the same always. you never add a complete syringe either. for me these are ones of the easiest and accurate test kits out there.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also compared calcium with Salifert and API. They both gave me the same result. Also, there is so much room for error with such small amounts of liquid and a "level scoop" of the powder/crystals. If you use a few more/less crystals in 2ml vile of tank water that can fluctuate the results too, as I'm sure you know.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I love to depend on a "accuracy range" when it comes to thousands of dollars worth of corals. lol. It might be time to upgrade test kits.

jledon4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude!!! its not like if a 8.7 alkalinity will make that much difference to a 8.2! i also have thousands in my tank and trust me there is nothing that i'm more into than my params. if you really want that type of pinpoint accuracy you should look into the Hanna Checkers and pinpoint monitors, those should have the accuracy you are looking for. IMO salifert has a great product compared to many things that are out there.

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to others said. The reagent level fluctuating wont affect the results unless you're using the entire volume.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude!!! its not like if a 8.7 alkalinity will make that much difference to a 8.2! i also have thousands in my tank and trust me there is nothing that i'm more into than my params. if you really want that type of pinpoint accuracy you should look into the Hanna Checkers and pinpoint monitors, those should have the accuracy you are looking for. IMO salifert has a great product compared to many things that are out there.

I agree with ya on the .5 difference not mattering that much. I have considered looking into them. I'm agreeing with you on this entire subject. I was making my point right when you came in to help my side. Thanks. 1smile1

jledon4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was with you up to the 1ml mark on the plunger!:wink: Bascially, Reagent + air (in the syringe) = 1ml. If you use the plunger as the reference point for your final reading, with varying amounts of actual reagent (.80-.85ml) as a starting point, your actual readings will fluctuate as well by that same amount, right? Let's look at an example; If I want to maintain a 8dKH ALK level, I should strive for a .50ml reading. If I start off with a syringe liquid level varying between .80-.85ml, how do I know if I'm reading low-dead on-high?

You have to remember what i said about the tip being an addition to the syringe volume, reagent + air = 1.15ml - 1.20ml.
I agree with ya on the .5 difference not mattering that much. I have considered looking into them. I'm agreeing with you on this entire subject. I was making my point right when you came in to help my side. Thanks. 1smile1

thats what the forum is all about, helping each other out.

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they allow for air just under the plunger, not inside of the whole syringe, turn it upside down and tap it with your finger and the bubbles will rise to the top and bleed it back into the test solution, until bubbles are gone.. This will give you the most consistency when using the salifert test kits.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back