Salinity and temp

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I mix my saltwater at a temp of 60 degrees F will the salinty change when I bring the temp up to 75 degrees F? Thanks

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Randy can you explain this a little more. I always get confused over this too. On my refractometer which is atc it reads 35 ppt all the time but sometimes it is 1.026 and sometimes it is 1.027.

I did buy a salinity monitor from pinpoint. How accurate are those. The monitor reads 52.4, 53, and sometimes 54 on the various standard solutions that I have purchased from pinpoint itself.

Should I always read only in ppt because that is constant and does not change with temp. To take the temperature affect out which reading will give me consistent results.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is it an ATC refractometer?

Even so, if you do not calibrate it with a 35 ppt seawater standard at 60 deg F, I would not assume it is accurate at 60 degrees. :)

So how can one measure right salinity at all temps. Its hard to have water at 70 degrees at all times. Bucket is 65, then after heating 78. The tank itself is 78. So see the variations in temps. If lights are on temp is 80. It is all over the place.

Tell us how to measure accurate salinity at any given time of day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy can you explain this a little more. I always get confused over this too. On my refractometer which is atc it reads 35 ppt all the time but sometimes it is 1.026 and sometimes it is 1.027.

I did buy a salinity monitor from pinpoint. How accurate are those. The monitor reads 52.4, 53, and sometimes 54 on the various standard solutions that I have purchased from pinpoint itself.

Should I always read only in ppt because that is constant and does not change with temp. To take the temperature affect out which reading will give me consistent results.

35 ppt seawater has a sg of 1.0264, but either 1.026 or 1.027 is close enough calibration.

Reading the refractometer in ppt doesn't change the concern that it may not work perfectly at temperatures other than the temp you calibrated at.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how can one measure right salinity at all temps. Its hard to have water at 70 degrees at all times. Bucket is 65, then after heating 78. The tank itself is 78. So see the variations in temps. If lights are on temp is 80. It is all over the place.

Tell us how to measure accurate salinity at any given time of day.

With a refractometer, it is really the air and refractometer temp that matters since the water temp quickly comes to that temp. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 29.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back