OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course not... what I know is most of the salt in the world comes from the salt mines in Poland. Not sure in this industry if they use it. But I was told that 3 big brands use Poland salt
No Worries. :)

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever saw the Poland salt mines? It's a piece of art!
Never been in a mine like that. :)

I've only been to the mines that my brother-in-law ran for Morton Salt over the years but they were all the kind that shoot water deep into the earth and when it was ready they pumped back the liquid brine to the factories. Then they boiled off the water in gigantic vats.

Morton Salt has mines like your talking about down south around Louisiana but I've never had the pleasure to drive down inside one of them.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what @drernesto is referring to link

I was speaking to Jack Kent over the weekend and Reef A Palooza, Jack mentioned the Brightwell purchases there salt from a company in Israel. I did not catch the name of the company in the conversation.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been in a mine like that. :)

I've only been to the mines that my brother in law ran for Mortin Salt over the years but they were all the kind that shot water deep into the earth and when it was ready they pumped back the liquid brine to the factories. Then they boiled off the water in gigantic vats.

Mortin Salt has mines like your talking about down south around Louisiana but I've never had the pleasure to drive down inside one of them.
You have to go down into the salt mine under Detroit link . They used to have tours.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to go down into the salt mine under Detroit link . They used to have tours.
No, but it's awesome.
I always wished I could go with my B-I-L into one of Morton's mines like that but it just never worked out. He eventually stopped running their mines and worked with the and was on B.O.D's in Chicago until he retired. My sister was just grateful that all their moving days were over.

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Cargill is the biggest salt producer in the world, if not in the US they are. Don't know if they, or their subsidiaries, supply any salt to the pet industry though.
I wonder if Cargill process pharm salt on just mine and grind:)

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if Cargill process pharm salt on just mine and grind:)
When I would got to the Morton salt mines they produced most of their salt based products on the spot and had many grades of salt within the same plant. They would be making table salt on one line, Cattle block licks on another and on and on. They were also producing pharm. grade salt in the same plants and that's why "Rohm and Haas / Dow Chemical" bought Morton and owned them over for a fairly long duration.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I would got to the Morton salt mines they produced most of their salt based products on the spot and had many grades of salt within the same plant. They would be making table salt on one line, Cattle block licks on another and on and on. They were also producing pharm. grade salt in the same plants and that's why "Rohm and Haas / Dow Chemical" bought Morton and owned them over for a fairly long duration.
Very interesting, we are getting somewhere. Time for some more digging.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@anit77
Going a little sides ways o_O but did your friend that is the aqua-scape master get his reef balanced out?

Thanks, GoVols

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can add is that my brother-in-law still has his stock options etc...
And he prays for bad winter roads, up north. :)

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can add is that my brother-in-law still has his stock options etc...
And he prays for bad winter roads, up north. :)
LOL

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was speaking to Jack Kent over the weekend
Good ole Jack. :)
Talked to him last year and he said that he just took Brightwell's over so I don't know if he and Chris had a fallout and sure wasn't going to ask.
Used the Brightwell salt and it was very good salt for (NSW) parameters and like how they make small batches like Fritz "RPM" and Seachem "Salinity".

But if you read the label of the Brightwells salt it's is like down to like 4 decimal points to true ocean water and that kind over hype just turns myself off.
Did like their salt mix but OMG the label hype and length is just outright overkill :eek: but... JMO.

If anybody feels the same about the label and the hilarious wording then Brightwell could (Do their self a big favor) and sell a lot more salt by making the label and it's claims about 90% shorter and just say:
"We use the highest grade raw materials and we mix in very small batches and at 1.025 sg the salt mixes to (NSW) parameters."

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MarsRover
Dear Mr Nut,

Would your like to pull a patent on the "Gel - Capsules" salt mix with us?

Were going to call our company "Gel-Reef". Just think about all the possibilities than we could do... Gel-Food, Gel-Carbon (dosing) and on and on and on.

We'll let you sleep on it if need be.

Regards, Mr Pea

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell products even after Kent took them over stretches the truth to out right lies on some of the products.

But for saltmixes Nutri seawater takes the cake on hype. So bad it's hilarious. lol

http://www.nutriseawater.com
Wow!... ;Wideyed
That's got "bs verbiage" all over the label.
At least Jack took off all those decimal points that used to be on the old Brightwells salt label.

Jason,
Thanks for the laugh. :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do we have an attorney on board that can look up the patent and post it for us?

"ACCEPT NO STUBSTITUTE! · ORIGINAL PATENTED TECHNOLOGY
U.S. PATENT #6,376,229"

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back