0   0   0
I quit watching "Tanked" a long time ago. (lol) They only do fake coral. :(

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell products even after Kent took them over stretches the truth to out right lies on some of the products.

But for saltmixes Nutri seawater takes the cake on hype. So bad it's hilarious. lol

http://www.nutriseawater.com

I would say that every company sells there product as the best. It finding the most consistent from batch to batch. Even natural seawater measures different in different areas of the the world, and it is the same body of water:rolleyes:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that every company sells there product as the best. It finding the most consistent from batch to batch. Even natural seawater measures different in different areas of the the world, and it is the same body of water:rolleyes:
I'm speaking of out right lies

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm speaking of out right lies
If your go to Marine Depot and look at Brightwells Kalk +2. It states this at the bottom.

"Brightwell Aquatics Aquarium Supplies
The goal of Brightwell Aquatics is to provide the absolute highest quality, scientifically-sound products and customer service of any aquarium water care manufacturer, and to do it all in a straight-forward and honorable fashion. All Brightwell products are formulated by marine scientists with a passion for the aquarium hobby. They utilize the highest purity ingredients in concentrations that provide the most use to hobbyists. Nearly all Brightwell Aquatics products are over 99.9% pure. The usage guidelines of Brightwell Aquatics products are written in plain language but the company is always available to answer consumer questions. All products are lot numbered for quality control and customer service."

:D

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gotta love QX-23 in Nutriseawater:

"Fortified with QX-23® Enriched
• Solution: Calcium, Iodine, Molybdenum, Strontium, Magnesium, Cobalt Potassium, Lithium, Aluminum, Vanadium, Chromium, Manganese, Nickel, Selenium, Silver, Cadmium, Zinc, Thallium, Stannus, Antimony."

SO glad they fortify it with silver, nickel, tin, thallium, cadmium, aluminum, lithium, and antimony. lol

Sounds like the residue at a superfund toxic waste site. No apparent biological value, but well worth mentioning in an advertisement. :D

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your go to Marine Depot and look at Brightwells Kalk +2. It states this at the bottom.

"Brightwell Aquatics Aquarium Supplies
The goal of Brightwell Aquatics is to provide the absolute highest quality, scientifically-sound products and customer service of any aquarium water care manufacturer, and to do it all in a straight-forward and honorable fashion. All Brightwell products are formulated by marine scientists with a passion for the aquarium hobby. They utilize the highest purity ingredients in concentrations that provide the most use to hobbyists. Nearly all Brightwell Aquatics products are over 99.9% pure. The usage guidelines of Brightwell Aquatics products are written in plain language but the company is always available to answer consumer questions. All products are lot numbered for quality control and customer service."

:D

When someone says the products are OVER 99.9% pure that means 100% right or there is still scope for impurity ....lol
Even laboratory grade molecular biology or human stem cell reagents don't claim 99.9% purity....:confused::confused::confused:

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol,
They must be Brightwells supplier. :)
Lol....actually there is a more interesting point into this. There are certain parameters or quality assurance a company can get. Like ACS (american chemical society) or USP (US pharmacological convention) certification. Any company can claim that something is 99.9999% pure but are they certified to be that pure, possibly no. Even with the giant companies like Sigma or Fisher scientific or Perkin Elmer you can get reagents saying its 99.99% pure but very rarely or almost none will be ACS or USP certified. If they are certified then the price will be outrageous from a hobbyist point of view. Like 5 gm of NaCl will be $40. I was reading through Brightwell Neomarine Kalibrate product detail and they say "Keep in mind that FCC- or Food-grade salts will have a lower percentage of insoluble materials and elements such as calcium and magnesium per unit mass than will pool salts; USP- and ACS-grade salts are even better."
I think everyone knows that the purer it is the better it is but its stupidity to suggest hobbyist to buy ACS or USP grade chemicals for a reef tank.:confused::confused::confused: Also whats the certification behind their claim that their stuff is actually 99.99999% pure. Are those ACS or USP certified or is it just supposed to?

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol....actually there is a more interesting point into this. There are certain parameters or quality assurance a company can get. Like ACS (american chemical society) or USP (US pharmacological convention) certification. Any company can claim that something is 99.9999% pure but are they certified to be that pure, possibly no. Even with the giant companies like Sigma or Fisher scientific or Perkin Elmer you can get reagents saying its 99.99% pure but very rarely or almost none will be ACS or USP certified. If they are certified then the price will be outrageous from a hobbyist point of view. Like 5 gm of NaCl will be $40. I was reading through Brightwell Neomarine Kalibrate product detail and they say "Keep in mind that FCC- or Food-grade salts will have a lower percentage of insoluble materials and elements such as calcium and magnesium per unit mass than will pool salts; USP- and ACS-grade salts are even better."
I think everyone knows that the purer it is the better it is but its stupidity to suggest hobbyist to buy ACS or USP grade chemicals for a reef tank.:confused::confused::confused: Also whats the certification behind their claim that their stuff is actually 99.99999% pure. Are those ACS or USP certified or is it just supposed to?

"The goal of Brightwell Aquatics is to provide the absolute highest quality, scientifically-sound products and customer service of any aquarium water care manufacturer, and to do it all in a straight-forward and honorable fashion." ...????????? :confused:

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Fortified with QX-23[emoji768] Enriched
• Solution: Calcium, Iodine, Molybdenum, Strontium, Magnesium, Cobalt Potassium, Lithium, Aluminum, Vanadium, Chromium, Manganese, Nickel, Selenium, Silver, Cadmium, Zinc, Thallium, Stannus, Antimony."

SO glad they fortify it with silver, nickel, tin, thallium, cadmium, aluminum, lithium, and antimony. lol

Sounds like the residue at a superfund toxic waste site. No apparent biological value, but well worth mentioning in an advertisement. :D

I lol at this one !!! [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji23]

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lol at this one !!! [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji23]
@120reefkeeper
I'm switching over to the QX-23 in Nutriseawater the next time I get Dino's.
(lol) The "superfund toxic waste site" will either fuel them or ;Dead them.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Fortified with QX-23® Enriched

Thank you for a good laugh:eek::D

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We just had Jeremy Howell of Brightwell as a speaker at out last club meeting.
According to him, Brightwell products are indeed either or ACS or USP certified. He made quite a point of saying so and that calling something "pharmaceutical grade" was basically worthless without the certifications.
Was an interesting talk for sure.
I think this is a great thread by the way..

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We just had Jeremy Howell of Brightwell as a speaker at out last club meeting.
According to him, Brightwell products are indeed either or ACS or USP certified. He made quite a point of saying so and that calling something "pharmaceutical grade" was basically worthless without the certifications.
Was an interesting talk for sure.
I think this is a great thread by the way..
Do they mention that in their website or on their product bottles or as a product insert paper inside the product? If not I dont trust what he says and nobody should...sorry but every statement should be validated by proof not just because someone says that.....lol:p

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly yes to both counts. Don't quote me on that because I haven't double checked.

He was saying that all of their ingredients are listed, with certifications, at least in the website, if not the bottle/bag.
Like I said above, he made quite the point of saying that all their basic ingredients were ACS or USP certified.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM Pro Reef (Verbiage)

"Features:

The pharmaceutical grade sea salt especially for modern reef aquaria.

Tropic Marin® PRO-REEF Sea Salt has been designed to meet the special requirements of reef aquariums with optimized concentrations of calcium and magnesium, which promote the growth of corals. The lower buffering and the correct pH value serve to stabilize the natural water values, and particularly, the hardness of carbonates, even with the use of calcium reactors. Natural and stable conditions for delicate marine life are achieved only by accurately balancing all influencing factors.

Tropic Marin® PRO-REEF is thus the ideal foundation for the care and growth of fish, corals and other aquatic invertebrates in modern reef aquariums. Use seawater prepared with Tropic Marin® PRO-REEF for regular water changes in your seawater aquarium, to start a new aquarium and to re-equilibrate the pH of a tank.

Benefits:
• Optimizes calcium- and magnesium concentrations as well as alkalinity and pH.
• Designed to meet the special requirements of modern reef aquaria with higher calcium requirements.
• Especially designed for use with calcium reactors or mineral additives.
• To maintain the alkalinity in a 7-8° dKH range.
• Manufactured from pure, pharmaceutical grade salts.
• Contains all major- and minor elements in the exact proportions found in tropical sea water.
• The 70 trace elements are completely soluble due to the use of the mixed-crystal method.
• Compliance with the most stringent quality control measures for the production of pharmaceuticals ensures nature-identical seawater.
• Free from nitrates, phosphates and other unwanted chemicals.

How to use:
To achieve a salinity level of 32-35 ‰ (psu), dissolve 35 ml of Tropic Marin® PRO-REEF per liter or approximately ½ cup of Tropic Marin® PRO-REEF per US gallon water. Dissolve almost all of the salt in a clean container already filled with the full volume of RO/DI water at a temperature of 73-77°F / 23-25°C while circulating/stirring the water. Do not concentrate the mixture by adding the full amount of salt to a smaller amount of water.

Note: Always add the salt to the water, never the water to the salt. Making a concentrated mixture will cause a calcium carbonate precipitate to form.

When you have added ALMOST all of the salt and the mixture is fully dissolved and clear, start measuring the specific gravity with a hydrometer or similar instrument. Keep adding small amounts of salt until the specific gravity is the value you desire. The specific gravity of the sea salt solution should range from 1.025 to 1.027 (at 73-77°F / 23-25°C) and the pH-value should be in the range of 8.0 – 8.4. If all parameters are correct, the salt water is ready to use.

After setting up a new aquarium it takes a few weeks of water being circulated and correct lighting conditions to achieve the biologically stable environment required for the care and breeding of delicate marine organisms.

A weekly, partial water change, replacing 10 % of the total water volume with Tropic Marin® PRO-REEF, will help to maintain the water quality that your livestock needs for good health.

Parameters: approx. 7° KH, calcium approx. 440 ppm, magnesium approx. 1350 ppm

Application: For reef tanks with higher calcium requirements. To maintain the alkalinity in a 7-8° dKH range; particularly suitable when using a calcium reactor.

Use the new dosing calculator for an easy determination of the required amount of salt for your aquarium."

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back