Salt water storage

lorydory78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Pretty new to the hobby and learning every day! We have a 32 gallon Brute trash can that stores the prepared RO/DI saltwater and copper concoction for our quarantine tanks. I started noticing a strong stagnant water smell coming from it. The plain RO/DI water smells fine. Also, all 3 of my quarantine tanks now have purple slimy stuff (cyano?) on the top rubber portion of the heater (and why is it only on there in all 3 tanks??). I was treating them with nitrofurazone, but not anymore. I’m due to do a water change, but worried this water is full of bacteria. The trash can is about half full…do I dump it, sanitize, and refill OR is it safe to use it? Also, am I supposed to have some flow in the trash can? Could it be because I put a heater in there to warm up the water? Thanks for your help! IMG_7688.jpeg

OP
OP
L

lorydory78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix?

What concoction?

Do you keep it aerated?
I’m using coral pro salt and I have copper safe mixed in. I was not aerating, but I did order a small pump with airstone to put in there…will that work? And is the water ok to use or should I dump it (probably about 15-20 gallons left), sanitize, and start fresh? Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect much bacteria to grow in that mix, but calcium carbonate can readily precipitate. I don’t know of any reason for a smell unless the copper product smells.

I don’t see a reason to dump it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back