saltwater guppies

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are too nice imo. I hope for your fish sake they only eat veggies and don't require a meaty diet. I'd hate to think your fish not get a proper diet because brine or any other type of meaty creature was cultivated in a less than humane environment. Js

You can satisfy the needs of a meat eating organism without the potential unnecessary suffering of forcing a freshwater fish to live in seawater while it supplies your other fish with food. Keep it in fresh water until it is needed.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not be feeding guppies to SW fish (regardless of the acclimation), and the beating a dead horse icon is no longer available.:rolleyes:

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't provide proper nutrition it's like feeding goldfish to Oscars they'll live but isn't a healthy diet. Like romaine isn't nutrition it's a gut filler for marine fish. There's reason that good healthy food isn't made from guppies goldfish n koi.

OP
OP
mr.reeferman

mr.reeferman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is not the only source of nutrition i use guppy to give them a more natural environment aka a way to hunt and use there natural instincts to do so

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you feed a food that is known for it's undesirable nutritional value, and you feed brine, another food not believed to provide adequate nutritional value to SW fish, but you are concerned with your SW fishes natural hunting abilities, got ya.
This might be case where you are really not concerned with anyone else opinion, so just keep on keeping on.

OP
OP
mr.reeferman

mr.reeferman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like i said i also feed food that i make combine clam shrimp egg white and spirulina plus flakes plus fry and variouse other foods but i would like to know more about your feeding habbits seeing as i like to feed a variety

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a healthy population of pods and I feed lrs reef frenzy,pe mysis,rods eggs,ocean nutrition formula one pellets,coral frenzy and oyster feast. Depends what day and what's getting fed.

OP
OP
mr.reeferman

mr.reeferman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have these brown lil egg looking thing that hatch and lil bugs come out and the fish love them bought for my jelly fish when i had one eggs are the size of a needle point not sure what they are but im guessing some kind of pod and i fed ocean nutrition too but ran out last month so i switched up for a while

TracyWinkles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did research and have found many cases were guppies lived in saltwater for three years and seeing average guppy life is close to two if you take care of them properly i think that if done properly these fish can adapt very well to saltwater . guppies are found wild in saltwater estuaries in the gulf of mexico hence there capability to be converted alot of research was done before trying this and constant monitoring for the month following none showed no sines of stress nor did they even flash which is a sign of stress in guppies due to water parameters changing i had guppies for almost 7 years and learned quite a bit all those you see in the saltwater were bred and raised by me i did saltwater dips on these fish once a month for a year to rid of parasites this also will acclimate their body to the salt without causing stress and shock so i feel very safe in doing this believe me i love my fish and if i see signs of stress i will start lowering the salinity of there tank slowly untill there is none at all but i do consider them to be u success i have also noticed that my freshwater guppies get ich quite often but the salties show no sign of ich or stress related to ich or any other fish related illness if the lord can put guppies in saltwater estuaries then i think its safe to say they are brackish fish and probably were not naturally freshwater fish or maybe this is an evolutional trait given to ensure there survival
I'm extremely impressed!! We had guppies growing up and I think it great they can live in salt!!

ja4207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the first page the term hypocritical comes jumping at me.

How can someone whom keeps a wild animal in a small confined space draw the line of ethics with fresh to salt fish conversion. Keeping in mind, the salt conversion has no real proven effects. Home aquariums absolutely have proven negative effects in both life span and growth limitations.

For the record, I keep fish, reefs and the like. I just do so under no illusions, accepting it for what it is.

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For whatever it's worth to this conversation, my first saltwater tank back in 1989, the local store sold me mollies and guppies to seed the tank. They were a lot less expensive than damsels back then. The mollies lived for many years and had multiple births. The guppies ended up in the carpet nem. So it's nothing new to have them salted. I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 41 46.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.8%
Back