samhain growth rate

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have experience w/ happy samhain's? I just wanted some advice regarding lighting and flow. I heard the growth rate is very slow, any input on that as well is appreciated. I got a colony of a couple hundred polyps, which is still small regarding polyp count.

i'll post pics in an hour when everything is opened up. they are bright red w/ bright green mouth and tiny tiny polyps.

thanks,
jess

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool cant wait for a shot of that! :)

OP
OP
jessp

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my wife has the cam at work, but i made sure to put the piece right in front of glass and cleaned the glass too. it is a wild colony because it has a bit of sponge and algae growth on it. but the hermits seem to be cleaning it up and i did a good dip. it looked really cool in the lfs.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait!

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool......The frag that I have which caused me to name them has grown very slow. But when I frag off a polyp or 2 which isn't easy mind you cause of the type of polyp and the growth pattern they tend to grow very fast and then slow down. My main frag right now hasn't opened in 5 days and I am not sure what is going on with it. The frags I have of it other then the main frag are all opened up....? They do grow very slow.....Can't wait to see a large rock of them.....

OP
OP
jessp

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i gotta hurry up my wife, w/o her finding out i bought more coral lol.

OP
OP
jessp

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here are some bac pics about 75% of the polyps are open. they mouths look more white in these pics than they actually are. They also look more orange than red. also the back side of the rock has a lot of polyps which i could not get in the pics.

lmk what you think.

happysamhain007.jpg

happysamhain005.jpg

happysamhain004.jpg

happysamhain003.jpg

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that's them......If your ever interested in a trade for a few polyps let me know.....I like to have back ups and cannot find them anywhere local......Mine are more orange then red but in my pics the come out red then orange and the mouths are a green/white color.....The camera does make them look a bit differant but those are them for sure....:)

OP
OP
jessp

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the store had two other rocks, i should probably buy them as well. the other rock was solid red the other was orange w/ colored mouths but looked to have a fungus.

it looks beat up right now but i'm pretty good at trimming off the bad stuff and keeping things clean.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEa that sound like the way the main rock my original frag came from looked. It had about 200 polyps on it and was quickly being wiped out by something. I got a 10-15 polyp frag that had fallen off the main rock and wasn't sick......Great pick up....

OP
OP
jessp

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm always interested in trades, considering i just got these let me leave em alone for a couple weeks and see how things pan out. I chunked off a huge part of the rock that had a lot of sponge growth and other stuff i could not identify. I actually got stung by something probably a bristle worm because i had a small fiberglass splinter. I also dipped the rock w/ revive coral cleaner from two little fishes. Julian Sprung gave me a couple bottles are out last frag swap and it works pretty well.

If the other rock at the store on friday i'm gonna buy it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweetness!

OP
OP
jessp

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll be making some frag packs to sell soon to save for wifes bday, i'll make sure to include a frag of these. i'll also frag them for others as single pieces.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they melted away on me everytime i got a frag...never seen such sensitive zoanthids. looks like you got a real nice sized colony, just be careful when fragging them. since they are so small, it'd probably be best to frag the LR around the polyps, and try avoiding any direct cuts on the flesh as possible

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they melted away on me everytime i got a frag...never seen such sensitive zoanthids. looks like you got a real nice sized colony, just be careful when fragging them. since they are so small, it'd probably be best to frag the LR around the polyps, and try avoiding any direct cuts on the flesh as possible

You don't know how much truth there is in that statement......I have lost 3-4 small frags because they are just so tight together and you really can't get under them like normal zoanthids. Fragging the rock is the only way to go...

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jess be careful fragging them. I had a rock literally covered in them. I made a few frags for friends on here and i eventually lost my whole colony.

OP
OP
jessp

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did break off a couple small pieces of about 12-15 polyps each while cleaning up the rock. there is a type of sponge that is like fiberglass that i removed and some other crusty looking stuff. the colony is still opening but there is still a bout 15% that are not opening. so far the frags have opened but we will see how long that will last.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said if and when down the line you want to trade some let me know. My main frag is going south quick.......:(

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back