1   0   0
Keeping it on topic.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
straight from Kupang

Makes sense. I was pretty sure I'd seen this morph before with some deepwater zoas in the past. The importers I've talked to have told me consistently that the "deepwater Japanese" zoas were actually from Java and/or Kupang, so if that's where yours come from, that would jibe.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post pics with day light and not a lot of attinics... also side shots of how you would usually see it in your tank not a top down.. just curious on how this thing really looks like.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice anyway. May I ask how you get corals from Kupang? :)

colorfan45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you Nanofins. Morph thats been around. Put the Red Hornet name on them and poof, something new and expensive

colorfan45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no harm toward you fashion, Hope everyone that bought a single polyp for mucho is drooling:snicker:

noobreef408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost identical really, the thing is that picture you took made the polyp looks darker, the red hornet has a more orangy color imo.

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I was pretty sure I'd seen this morph before with some deepwater zoas in the past. The importers I've talked to have told me consistently that the "deepwater Japanese" zoas were actually from Java and/or Kupang, so if that's where yours come from, that would jibe.

Glad someone said it...

OP
OP
F

fashionphile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know about the other ones but the ones I have are from
kupang
there seems to be some debate on the white mouth. these do not have a bold white mouth as some of the pics I have seen, they have more of a slit like noobs pic,

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there seems to be some debate on the white mouth. these do not have a bold white mouth as some of the pics I have seen, they have more of a slit like noobs pic,

You just have to get them to gape wider...:xd:

No, seriously, I'm not giving you a hard time. Those look just as nice as the "super secret" red hornets. It's just been my position all along that the Devil's Aura/Red Hornets, while nice, were not really as rare as they were being promoted as, just a newer arrival on the seen.

I've seen them here and there with other imports of the newish (in recent several months) deepwater zoas. I wasn't super-impressed by them and actually found myself more attracted to other deepwater morphs. Then they got big press and a fancy name and a good sales pitch, and whammo, they're $200/polyp.

The RH/DA's had to come from somewhere, and it's been my suspicion/contention that they came from Java/Kupang along with the other deepwaters. Heck, even the Purple Hornet is supposed to have come from Kupang. It's a recurring pattern/theme with zoas from that area. I'm sure there are other flavors out there too, just waiting to be exploited. :tongue:

But again, point here is I like yours just as much as the others, and it's nice to see a whole big rock of them.

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on that
You just have to get them to gape wider...:xd:

No, seriously, I'm not giving you a hard time. Those look just as nice as the "super secret" red hornets. It's just been my position all along that the Devil's Aura/Red Hornets, while nice, were not really as rare as they were being promoted as, just a newer arrival on the seen.

I've seen them here and there with other imports of the newish (in recent several months) deepwater zoas. I wasn't super-impressed by them and actually found myself more attracted to other deepwater morphs. Then they got big press and a fancy name and a good sales pitch, and whammo, they're $200/polyp.

The RH/DA's had to come from somewhere, and it's been my suspicion/contention that they came from Java/Kupang along with the other deepwaters. Heck, even the Purple Hornet is supposed to have come from Kupang. It's a recurring pattern/theme with zoas from that area. I'm sure there are other flavors out there too, just waiting to be exploited. :tongue:

But again, point here is I like yours just as much as the others, and it's nice to see a whole big rock of them.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost identical really, the thing is that picture you took made the polyp looks darker, the red hornet has a more orangy color imo.

Keep in mind, his are pretty new imports. May just be a difference in acclimation to captive lighting. Could also be differences in camera/lighting. Time will tell.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry about the pics not being too sharp but im working with a $100 crappy kodak...

rh1.jpg

rh2.jpg

rh3.jpg

rh4.jpg
sweet!!! :)

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that the ones fashion has look more like true red hornets in that the mouth is not as white as noobs and others. Purple hornets do not have a white mouth like the so called red hornet. If anything these look more like red hornets then the ones being called red hornets if that makes any sense.

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not gonna go over well with some people but I say from now on we call these True Red Hornets and we call the ones with white mouths "Red Black Hole Suns" LOL

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look BETTER than the touted red hornets if you ask me.

NICE pickup! I wouldn't frag them for quite a while. Let them at least acclimate and get used being in a tank before fragging them. That way they will at least be aquacultured and heartier. Otherwise the chances of loosing the frags or the whole colony is 10x more. At least from my experience.

I was going to say something a while back about the red hornets not being anything new or rarish. But I didn't want to sound like an a%%. I've had ones similiar before and didn't think much of them.

Now if they are as bright and vibrant as the true Purple Hornets that will be a different story.
I am looking forward to seeing them side by side in a tank that has some purples that are as nice as my current ones (true lineaged ph's - there are a ton of close but no cigar ones out there now)

Sweet pickup. I'd definitely be interested in a frag in a few months when they settle in and are doing good for you.

Merry XMAS to YOU :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back