Scared for this colony

drkreid19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this colony from my buddy he is getting out of the hobby.. When I picked it up from him it already looked like this. I am about three weeks into my new BioCube 29gal.. Do you think the colony is going to survive or is it dead? I have had many saltwater tanks but this in the first reef setup.. Also here is some photos of my rock scape any suggestions for it being coral friendly/savvy?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks in. Has the tank finished cycling? If you have ammonia, you have a problem. What are your levels?

OP
OP
D

drkreid19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks in. Has the tank finished cycling? If you have ammonia, you have a problem. What are your levels?
The water was tanken out of my 12o gallon tank so I should be good on the cycle.. I have been testing my levels and they all seem very stable haven't had a spike with anything.. Just tested ammonia it's showing zero..

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water carries very little bacteria. You need to be testing for ammonia and the presence of nitrate. That tank is cycling! In saltwater nitrite really isn't a concern, but can be tested just to watch the cycle do it's thing.

Gene S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water doesn't cycle the tank as much as everything else in it does and when you change things into another tank the cycle starts over. You need to test and see where your parameters are

OP
OP
D

drkreid19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water carries very little bacteria. You need to be testing for ammonia and the presence of nitrate. That tank is cycling! In saltwater nitrite really isn't a concern, but can be tested just to watch the cycle do it's thing.
I haven't noticed any kind of cycle in my testing moving the water from the 120gal.. Is that normal?

OP
OP
D

drkreid19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water doesn't cycle the tank as much as everything else in it does and when you change things into another tank the cycle starts over. You need to test and see where your parameters are
Currently testing right now.. The live rock also came from my 120 gal tank does that make any kind of difference?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the live rock is where you find the beneficial bacteria.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's and palys are tough it may take a few weeks but most will open back up as long as levels are ok

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's and palys are tough it may take a few weeks but most will open back up as long as levels are ok

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have fowlr that the live rock came from.. You never coppered your fowlr, did you?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas aren't happy, either from new tank syndrome or their just getting acclimated. As mentioned, watch your Nitrates and Ammonia for spikes. Good Luck!

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If was like this before your tank (as you wrote) probably is not the water, but may be pests on it? If you have zoa eating nuddies all polyps will stay close for weeks until they vanish one by one.

OP
OP
D

drkreid19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have fowlr that the live rock came from.. You never coppered your fowlr, did you?
No I did not.. What do you mean by copper? Sorry like I said this is all new to me.. And yes it was a fowlr tank..

OP
OP
D

drkreid19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If was like this before your tank (as you wrote) probably is not the water, but may be pests on it? If you have zoa eating nuddies all polyps will stay close for weeks until they vanish one by one.
Do you advise that I put a clean up crew in yet? Thanks..

OP
OP
D

drkreid19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be making progress already!! A few are starting to open up!!
image.jpg

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you advise that I put a clean up crew in yet? Thanks..
Clean up crews will not help your zoas. If water quality is good (cycle is at the end) - can add them, but no snail will run after zoa pests.
I see some white dots on each head... I cannot define what they are, but keep an eye on them - if dots move :confused:. If you have violets / actinics look at zoa only with those lights on - all eventual eggs become very bright and you can see things almost invisible in normal light.
I keep zoas since some years and they are bulletproof (kept them in low light and next to acros in bright areas, low flow and very strong flows, high nitrates, low nitrates) - but their weakness is pests (and of course angel fishes which consider them as candys :) ). As long are pest free they will be fine.

This is one of my colony - cheap and common zoas, dropped in tank right after the cycle (once with snails) - lived through nitrates of 40-50, now at 0.00 NO3 and light levels for SPS. The only drip I am using is fresh water. Everyday for first week. Some will say its crazy, but this is the result.

013.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back