Scared of my tank

Nathan33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with govolsguy31. I have these zoas and others in my tank and yes they can be toxic. In fact I have a few articles saved on my computer. When I can I will post them here. From what I understand is they need to be stressed but out of the water for them to have any impact on you. I've also been told to avoid putting my hands in the tank if you have cuts, or open injuries.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is Palythoas and Protopalythoas that are dangerous. I am trying to get rid of all of them from my tanks.
The poison is the most expensiv thing they have so they dont spill it if they dont have to. The poison will also breakdown in the tank.
So as long as nobody touch them you can be calm. When I handle them I use double gloves ( long insemination gloves and thick on the hands) and carbon filtered breathing mask.
Last time I did a clean out I got poisoned anyway. I apparently spilled tank water on my trousers and the legs did get swollen. It was an area about the size of my hand on each leg. So I went to the hospital for checkup and I had normal temperature but raised pulse, about 105 instead of 70. In four hours at the hospital, 10 hours after the cleanout the pulse was going down and I went home. Just because of a little water left on my trousers that dried up by itself. The next time I will have my rain trousers that does not leak and rubber boots on.
Wow. I knew palyo is deadly but not where it'll swell a given area. And now I'm looking up what are the toxic species and removing. But if there not a problem there not a problem.... so y make em into 1.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I knew palyo is deadly but not where it'll swell a given area. And now I'm looking up what are the toxic species and removing. But if there not a problem there not a problem.... so y make em into 1.

If you are able to find a list, I'd love a link to it @Lord Chris! I couldn't seem to find one in my googling...

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was doing research a few months ago there was no list other than it's most likely the bigger brownish and greenish ones.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my zoas or palys appear to be toxic, although I know that some are.
Okay, correction here. After watching Julian's video, I realize that I don't have any palythoas, only zoas. I have fragged them in tank numerous times and my tuxedo urchin wears some as a hat. I always wear eyewear, never gloves (dumb), and have never had any problems. However, my LFS pulled some green palys out of one of their display tanks a few years ago and killed most of the fish and corals in the tank. No palys for me. I'll stick to zoas.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best link I have found is this. Part 1 and 2
(I hope it's ok to post this link. If not my apologies and please delete)

https://reefs.com/2015/09/14/the-dangers-and-myths-of-zoa-toxicity-part-1/

Glad to see this. I've been reluctant to add Zoas due to the potential toxicity issue. I still have to think about my husband who is allergic to bee stings and has a very bad reaction to poison ivy (requires a doctor's visit and medication). He has to manage the tank while I'm gone doing field work in various places. I may still decide to avoid them. Which is too bad 'cause I think they're awesome looking.

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is Palythoas and Protopalythoas that are dangerous. I am trying to get rid of all of them from my tanks.
The poison will also breakdown in the tank.

It is my understanding that the toxin is stable in the tank which means it does not breakdown. This may not be correct but I definitely read that it can remain in the tank for quite some time.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more concerned with electricity and water! :p
I was going to say the same thing!

From a safety stand point and looking at posts over the years I think a fire from dripping saltwater on electrical equipment is by far the biggest thing to worry about.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more concerned with electricity and water! :p

Me too, and I am an electrician. I am also concerned about getting hit with a meteorite, school bus, telephone pole, Kid with a cell phone, UBER, unicycle, 747 tire, hoverboard, or any number of things that are not likely going to happen. Last night just before I fell asleep I noticed 3 or 4 Zoa's slowly creeping up to my bed. I got the horrors so I jumped out of bed, ran to the radio, fumbled through the stations until I found RAP music, I blasted that until they exploded. :eek:

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say the same thing!

From a safety stand point and looking at posts over the years I think a fire from dripping saltwater on electrical equipment is by far the biggest thing to worry about.

I have never thought about this before. How should we protect our power bars from this? Is it safe to cover them with something? Or is that more dangerous?

Uwharrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should be dead then! I have several Zoa's and Paly's in my 29 Biocube. When taking them off the frag plugs I did not even wear gloves! Did I cheat death? ( actually I think they are safer than some give credit)

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use all precautions, i.e., eye protection, gloves, and then of course don't touch your face, eyes, or mouth. I have the some palys (they maybe protopalys) in my tank and though I didn't touch or move them I swear they have given me a rash (like poison ivy). I have even had to go to the doctor once (he called it skin irritation). I therefore all use gloves, eye protection, and thoroughly wash my hands after moving something in the tank. I recommend this to anyone I talk to. Palys and ProtoPalys are beautiful and by being careful you can enjoy them.

Back