Schooling & Shoaling Fish for small aquarium

TriGa22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides chromis - what are some recommended schooling and shoaling peaceful fish for a 60gallon tank?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 4 work or would they kill eachother
firefish tend to work in pairs only. Typically one pair unless a large tank.
Scissor tail dartfish are a good alternative and do well in groups, actually better than singles or pairs. Or Zebra darts but they tend to be on the larger size.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make sure to let us know what you go with!

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a bunch of Pajama Cardinals?
My group of 3 pajamas didn't show any schooling behavior except the first two days after I got them. In fact each of them spends their day mostly separated in their own cave and out of my sight. Seems to be normal behavior. Other members here described the personality of this fish as "dull" :)

The idea of schooling fish for aquariums seems to be a legend anyway. This is a defensive behavior against predators and rarely practiced after the fish realize there are none.

A friend of mine has has a group of anthias and chromis in a 200g tank. They only swim close to each other when it's feeding time.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+Cardinals (sort of). I got some baby banggais at my lfs. They're grown out a bit now and are inseparable. They're they only same species pair of fish I have and I enjoy watching them interact with each other. Maybe they'll grow to hate each other over time but for now they're a pair. I got 3 (long story) but the two seemed to pick on the third so it's living in the refugium for now. I was hesitant to get them because I heard they're pretty inactive but I gotta say mine get around the tank pretty actively. Voracious at feeding time. Picking pods off the rocks/glass. Just throwing in my exp

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pajama cardinals are great but i'm really into dart gobies at the moment -beautiful and hardy fish ... except some love to jump

1715873675462.png

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 50 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 54 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back