Seachem Stability cycle

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IS anyone familiar with Seachem Stability? I had DR. Tim's one and only for 5 days and its a bad bottle of bacteria. I went to a local shop and they only had seachem stability.

it said to add 1 cap every day for 7 days.. Just wanted to confirm this is accurate as some people did Dr. tim's different.

I want to use 1 cap tonight, tank still has 2.0 ammonia. what should I do tomorrow add another 1/2 cap for 10 gallons?

Seachem Laboratories

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Thank you for your post.
The indication of the store is correct, especially in case of a new tank. To speed up the nitrogen cycle we usually recommend to use together Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability. The first product is a conditioner that detoxify ammonia, which is converted to amines and so used after by the bacteria of Stability.
Stability is a blend of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria colonies, so it works to guarantee the best performance of all nitrogen cycle which include nitrification and denitrification process.

My suggest is treating your tank with Stability ( 5 ml/ 20 USgallon) for 7 days and during this period add Prime every 48 hours ( 5 ml/50USgallon).
If you have very high ammonia levels, you can dose Prime 5 times the normale dosage ( 5 ml / 50 US gallon) and this will detoxify ammonia for 48 hours.

I hope this helps,
I'm available for any more questions,

Have a nice day!

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Thank you for your post.
The indication of the store is correct, especially in case of a new tank. To speed up the nitrogen cycle we usually recommend to use together Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability. The first product is a conditioner that detoxify ammonia, which is converted to amines and so used after by the bacteria of Stability.
Stability is a blend of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria colonies, so it works to guarantee the best performance of all nitrogen cycle which include nitrification and denitrification process.

My suggest is treating your tank with Stability ( 5 ml/ 20 USgallon) for 7 days and during this period add Prime every 48 hours ( 5 ml/50USgallon).
If you have very high ammonia levels, you can dose Prime 5 times the normale dosage ( 5 ml / 50 US gallon) and this will detoxify ammonia for 48 hours.

I hope this helps,

Have a nice day!
Thank you, I hope I have better luck with Stability than I had with Dr. tim's . I understand I probably got a bad bottle. so it is what it is. I am going to dose 5ml for next 7 days and since I have ammonia I will use that once I see that ammonia go down to .05 I will add more to bump it up to 2.0ppm and see how long it takes for the ammonia to drop.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something interesting

I don't think its possible to have a bad bottle of bacteria, I recall some of your previous threads...your requirements are submersion time moreso than anything you add. the additives are critical when you are trying to beat the submersion clock of a month or so

Both of these additives work well, once your tank has hit forty days, its all the same ends. I think you are close to or approaching 40 days since setup or was it 20 can you remind me from the other cycling thread how long your tank has been wet

on the bad bacteria, what was the stated mechanism that caused the bottle to be dead was curious just because we log bacterial performances in other threads. The chance of a bad bottle of bac, packed in a liquid, even after rough handling within reason, is .01% they're that tough when hydrated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something interesting

I don't think its possible to have a bad bottle of bacteria, I recall some of your previous threads...your requirements are submersion time moreso than anything you add. the additives are critical when you are trying to beat the submersion clock of a month or so

Both of these additives work well, once your tank has hit forty days, its all the same ends. I think you are close to or approaching 40 days since setup or was it 20 can you remind me from the other cycling thread how long your tank has been wet

on the bad bacteria, what was the stated mechanism that caused the bottle to be dead was curious just because we log bacterial performances in other threads. The chance of a bad bottle of bac, packed in a liquid, even after rough handling within reason, is .01% they're that tough when hydrated.

Not sure which thread you talking about. I have been preparing for this for month, gathering equipment etc. I just started QT tank 5 days ago. With Dr. Tim's one and only you should start to see nitrates or and ammonia going down and up within the 5 days as most are able to cycle tanks in 7 -8 days or so. Yes I do believe if a bottle of bacteria gets stuck on a ups truck in middle of summer where it is 90% outside and well over 100 in the truck it can kill the bacteria. again I had Dr. tim's for 5 days and did not see any change in ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. I am not an expert just going on what I read about heat and Bottled bacteria.

But you peaked my interest so I am going to do the following. I am setting up a small 5 gallon tank and adding Dr tim's one and only and ammonia as directed and I will let it be for 14 days. I will test the water on every other day starting on day 4.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Thank you for your post.

I hope this helps,

Have a nice day!
Hi what if I don't have prime? I am on day 6 dosing just stability and I have not seen any change in ammonia 2.0, nitrites 0 or nitrates 0. last night I double dosed at night this morning just one dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi what if I don't have prime? I am on day 6 dosing just stability and I have not seen any change in ammonia 2.0, nitrites 0 or nitrates 0. last night I double dosed at night this morning just one dose.

If you have not yet added fish or other ammonia-sensitive organisms, Prime is not useful during cycling. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not yet added fish or other ammonia-sensitive organisms, Prime is not useful during cycling. :)
No Randy I have just added ammonia to 2.0 ppm and stability. So I guess it's just a sitting and waiting game at this point ?

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've seen and experienced, Stability is one of the more shelf stable brands but it tends to take a little bit longer to work. You could also add a small piece of live rock or filter media such as Matrix from an established tank.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr. Tim's and my cycle still took a few weeks. Every tank is different. If you have ammonia in the tank, the bacteria will eventually convert it. I agree with Randy that Prime is only necessary if you have fish in the tank.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first started with dr tims and now I am on stability. Would really suck if I got 2 bottles of bad bacteria
From what I've seen and experienced, Stability is one of the more shelf stable brands but it tends to take a little bit longer to work. You could also add a small piece of live rock or filter media such as Matrix from an established tank.
it's a a qt tank, don't want to invest it with live rock from unknown source. I am at day 7 and still no change, as per stability i should dose to day 7. Should i continue to add stability or stop?

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr. Tim's and my cycle still took a few weeks. Every tank is different. If you have ammonia in the tank, the bacteria will eventually convert it. I agree with Randy that Prime is only necessary if you have fish in the tank.
yea i am not using prime. just wish i saw some nitrites or nitrates so i know its not a dead bottle. I am also seeing more and more people cycle ina " few weeks" not 5-7 days as Dr. tim's says it does.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i do get a reliable source to send me a piece of live rock, do I continue to dose stability ?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back