Seahorse First Aid Kit

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that owning seahorses brings about it's own challenges. Seahorses are prone to certain diseases and I feel that every person that cares for seahorses should be prepared for.

My first aid kit:
  • Bio-bandage. This is used to aid in the healing of wounds. This is especially important for seahorses since they are scaleless. Also, they will try to hitch on anything and everything. This sometimes can cause injuries to the seahorse.
  • Soft, plastic pipette or fine gauge IV catheter flexible tubing (without needle). This is used to release excess gas from a male's pouch.
  • Diamox. This is a prescription medicine and you must get a script from a vet or doctor to be able to use. Diamox is used to treat gas bubble disease in seahorses. Gas bubble disease is a common disease to affect seahorses in captivity, so I would recommend consulting with a vet about the ability to get a script ahead of time.
  • Triple sulfa, furan 2,Tetracycline, and Erythromycin . These are antibacterial medications that can be used to treat mouth fungus or snout/tail rot, as well as other bacterial infections.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always so concerned my pipefish will get snout rot. They have such tiny mouths/snouts to begin with it can be hard tosee sometimes. This should be stickied!

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always so concerned my pipefish will get snout rot. They have such tiny mouths/snouts to begin with it can be hard tosee sometimes. This should be stickied!

Very true! This is now stickies. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great thread and info!

MechEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that owning seahorses brings about it's own challenges. Seahorses are prone to certain diseases and I feel that every person that cares for seahorses should be prepared for.

My first aid kit:
  • Bio-bandage. This is used to aid in the healing of wounds. This is especially important for seahorses since they are scaleless. Also, they will try to hitch on anything and everything. This sometimes can cause injuries to the seahorse.
  • Soft, plastic pipette or fine gauge IV catheter flexible tubing (without needle). This is used to release excess gas from a male's pouch.
  • Diamox. This is a prescription medicine and you must get a script from a vet or doctor to be able to use. Diamox is used to treat gas bubble disease in seahorses. Gas bubble disease is a common disease to affect seahorses in captivity, so I would recommend consulting with a vet about the ability to get a script ahead of time.
  • Triple sulfa, furan 2,Tetracycline, and Erythromycin . These are antibacterial medications that can be used to treat mouth fungus or snout/tail rot, as well as other bacterial infections.
I went down the Diamox route when two of my seahorses got External Gas Bubble Disease the other year - what a pain in the *** - Had to go climb Mount Kilimanjaro to get the prescription (as its used for high altitude sickness in humans). Once you have it, its just the first step. The medicine needs to be mixed with water and either injected straight into the seahorses mouth (yeah right) or inject the liquid into un-thawed Mysis shrimp and then make sure only the effected seahorses eat that Mysis. Lets just say it was a really fun time. I actually saved one of them but unfortunately the EGBD was too advanced to fix on the other before I was able to get the meds. Have you ever had to relive a pouch bubble? That sounds hard too

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went down the Diamox route when two of my seahorses got External Gas Bubble Disease the other year - what a pain in the *** - Had to go climb Mount Kilimanjaro to get the prescription (as its used for high altitude sickness in humans). Once you have it, its just the first step. The medicine needs to be mixed with water and either injected straight into the seahorses mouth (yeah right) or inject the liquid into un-thawed Mysis shrimp and then make sure only the effected seahorses eat that Mysis. Lets just say it was a really fun time. I actually saved one of them but unfortunately the EGBD was too advanced to fix on the other before I was able to get the meds. Have you ever had to relive a pouch bubble? That sounds hard too

I have had to relieve a pouch bubble I think 3-4 times. It is more nerve racking then anything. I hope to not have to do it again!

MechEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do it? It happened to one of my Reidis last month but literally only took less than three days for him to pass aftet he stopped acting normal, is that quick in your experience? Thats the only time its happened to me fortunately

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do it? It happened to one of my Reidis last month but literally only took less than three days for him to pass aftet he stopped acting normal, is that quick in your experience? Thats the only time its happened to me fortunately

Very carefully! If I have to do it again, I will take a video and demonstrate it. It can pass quick. There are a lot of factors.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good idea to have the stuff before hand. My first two horses, I waited until they stopped eating, and then there was not enough time to get it.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very awesome information, Ive been thinking about seahorses for sometime but have not pulled the trigger yet due to my lack of knowledge about them. Guess I will have to hit the books for a while and maybe ill set one up.

dounome561

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no luck with seahorses - my mom however is great with them. She has one pair of yellows that she has had for almost 4 years now and last summer the male could not leave the top of the tank. I did some research online and called a lady in CA who raises them and she told me how to release the gas from the pouch with a pipelet. (there is a video on youtube) The first time I had to do it scared the crap out of me. I was afraid I was going to hurt it. But as luck would have it he made a full recovery. Seahorses are amazing and very friendly.

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good idea to have the stuff before hand. My first two horses, I waited until they stopped eating, and then there was not enough time to get it.

I talked to quite a few seahorse keepers before I got mine. They all recommended having a first aid kit so I did the same.

Very awesome information, Ive been thinking about seahorses for sometime but have not pulled the trigger yet due to my lack of knowledge about them. Guess I will have to hit the books for a while and maybe ill set one up.

I wrote an article that is located in the article section here that is a good introduction to keeping seahorses.

I have no luck with seahorses - my mom however is great with them. She has one pair of yellows that she has had for almost 4 years now and last summer the male could not leave the top of the tank. I did some research online and called a lady in CA who raises them and she told me how to release the gas from the pouch with a pipelet. (there is a video on youtube) The first time I had to do it scared the crap out of me. I was afraid I was going to hurt it. But as luck would have it he made a full recovery. Seahorses are amazing and very friendly.

Very awesome that your mom has had a pair for 4 years! Evacuating a pouch is quite nerve wracking.

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SHK... I have been reading about the requirements of seahorses. I was disappointed to learn they typically like a lower T than most reef tanks. My system is a 250G 1st floor DT that partially drains into a basement 150G refugium (slow flow) and mostly into 120G Sump. When I built I had planned on making the refugium into a seahorse and pipefish tank. I currently keep my sump between 76.8-78.3F and currently considering lower the T a little more. (My heaters and T sensor are in my sump so I think my refugium may run a degree or two lower.) Are there any Seahorses that do better in warmer T? My system is disease free and everything is QT'd and proactively medicated prior to entering. Can seahorses be medicated for parasites and diseases? Is there any recommended QT procedures?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1471489383.851621.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1471489542.548183.jpg

REEFnMADNESS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the water height of the refugium tank? Seahorses typically need at least 20 inches of depth. Optimum temperature is under 74°F to keep bateria issues away. I run my tanks at 71-73 that houses coral as well and seems to just slow the growth rate. Make sure you buy aquacultured seahorses. Acclimate for at least an hour and gently use your hands (never a net!) to transport them to the new tank.

kenzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having trouble getting my hands on diamox, im in Mass willing to travel and buy few tablets, i have catheders...if this isnt allowed my apologies and delete or instruct me administration. new to this and ty.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back