Seahorse tanks, please post pics.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets make this the official seahorse/pipefish tank thread. Please post a pic of your seahorse/pipefish tank and a quick overview of your tank like size, filtration, lighting, inhabitants, and so on. Thanks

Last edited:

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll work on getting some up of mine tomorrow. Just a 65 gal (on a 800 gal system, so i can spread out the waste;)) with minimal flow and lighting. A little rock with hitching posts here and there and some rhizomous (is that a word) algaes like certain caulerpa's.

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet! you probably already know i'm in the same boat so i'll be following along this thread!

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll work on getting some up of mine tomorrow. Just a 65 gal (on a 800 gal system, so i can spread out the waste;)) with minimal flow and lighting. A little rock with hitching posts here and there and some rhizomous (is that a word) algaes like certain caulerpa's.

Great, I can't wait to see it. One question though, if it's tied in to your other systems how do you keep the temp down in the seahorse tank? Everything I've read say that they like the temp a bit cooler like 72 degrees.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I can't wait to see it. One question though, if it's tied in to your other systems how do you keep the temp down in the seahorse tank? Everything I've read say that they like the temp a bit cooler like 72 degrees.

Ok, I have never had seahorses or tied in another tank(other than my sump), but I would theorize that if would help to have very low flow(20-60gph?) going between the tanks with either a fan or small chiller on the seahorse tank.

Maybe something like this would work for a small tank chiller... Coolworks 50 Watt Ice Probe Nano Chiller IPAC-50W

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited to see some other Seahorse enthusiasts around here!

Personally I've got a 37g display. It is a dedicated Seahorse/LPS tank... I LOVE it!

My other two tanks (20g and 29g) are devoted fry rearing tanks. I've got a thread going in the Fish Discussion forum about them... see if you can look past all of the spam to find it.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seahorse-tank-1.jpg

seahorse-tank02.jpg

Everyone is in hiding. Two male and two female erectus adults and a filefish.

Everything I've read on southern erectus is that their temperature range is 72-77F (and when I've seen them diving, it's been 76-78F). I have been able to keep the system towards the upper end of that range with a chiller temp change. This summer, I may need something supplemental for cooling. I'm not monitoring at the SH tank, but would expect it to be cooler than the main system (furthest distance traveled for return and low flow through tank).

Need to add some color so my yellow male will change back from black, brown and white... Many of the hitching posts are fairly recent adds (two or three weeks?). When all the white rock went in, two of them turned black and white.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, thanks for posting! That's pretty much along the lines that I was thinking, some rock and some cool looking macros. I didn't think about the non-photosynthetics. With all the feedings do you have to target feed much? Those seahorses are one of the bigger one right? So if you put bright colored things in there they will change color right? I have to really think mine through before I attempt. Mine wont be connected to my reef, she wants to put it in the bedroom. I was thinking a bio cube but not too sure if the filtration will be enough to keep the water clean.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited to see some other Seahorse enthusiasts around here!

Personally I've got a 37g display. It is a dedicated Seahorse/LPS tank... I LOVE it!

My other two tanks (20g and 29g) are devoted fry rearing tanks. I've got a thread going in the Fish Discussion forum about them... see if you can look past all of the spam to find it.

Cool thread, I still have to finish going through it though.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not target fed since I put them in there. They could still benefit from target feeding. I may start, as one of the Dendros is starting to look bad again. It had lost a lot of tissue, but was re-covering the skeleton. Now there is defined space between the polyps. If I could only find other low flow NPS... I'm thinking of maybe Diodogorgia sp?

I've got two males and two female H. erectus (Southern). They are pretty good sized (4-5" not counting curled part of tail). They will change colors to some exctent. I need to add something bright yellow. One of the males was yellow when I got him, so I'm hopiong I can bring that back.

I'll work on uploading my iPhone so I can pst some videos.

Last edited:

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine back in its prime. Then I went on vacation for two weeks and the guy taking care of it let the algae get out of control. I'm in the process of trying to get it back to looking like this.
SANY0032.jpg

@gflat- You really shouldn't have those dendros in there with seahorses. They can and will sting them and cause ulcers which could lead to infection. If the polyps are big enough they could even eat the seahorse.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! thanks for posting. What sized tank is that and what do you have for filtration? Where do you get the sponges and macros from? Also what kind of seahorses are those? Thanks

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine back in its prime. Then I went on vacation for two weeks and the guy taking care of it let the algae get out of control. I'm in the process of trying to get it back to looking like this.
SANY0032.jpg

@gflat- You really shouldn't have those dendros in there with seahorses. They can and will sting them and cause ulcers which could lead to infection. If the polyps are big enough they could even eat the seahorse.

What size is your tank ?

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size- 29g biocube
Filter- 29g biocube (wet/dry)
Sponges came from my LFS. I recently got another since those in that pic died but the new one is getting algae growth on it. Trying to figure out a fix to it. These sponges are very tough to keep successfully.
Those seahorses are reidi but I recently got a pair of erectus because I want to try breeding. I lost those seahorses along with the sponges when I went on vacation. Just goes to show that truly the only person who can take care of your tanks the way they should be taken care of is YOU.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I was thinking of going with a biocube, I was just worried that the filtration might not be enough. How often do you do water changes?

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can deal with once a week. I want to make sure I don't bite off more than I can chew and start to neglect the tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%

Back