Seahorse tanks, please post pics.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I reduced the flow by putting some mesh over the return. Without the mesh there is a little too much flow.

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize this was a new forum. I have a female seahorse that was sold to me as a Kuda, although many people comment that she may be a Reidi. Originally there was a pair, but the male had trouble with his "snick" and could not eat. He eventually died. For those not intending on raising babies, which can be extremely difficult, I would recommend getting only females.

A reef is not the ideal environment for a seahorse, so I'm not promoting that by any means. She is in a 125 with a very light bio load. A Mandarin pair, and a small female Leopard Wrasse. The female was originally black but turned yellow.

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

Checking out the new guy.
IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg

Female starting to turn yellow.

IMG_4943.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

a36dcc42.jpg

I like this image:

IMG_5498.jpg

12f9b799.jpg

fdbc6501.jpg

1cec52d4.jpg

6597fe6f.jpg

Click the video:

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics. Do you find it more difficult to feed with a tank that size and what do you have on there for flow?

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics. Do you find it more difficult to feed with a tank that size and what do you have on there for flow?

Thank you!

For flow, there is a Mag 9 return, two K1's, a K2 and a K3. There is absolutely no problem during feeding, she is trained to eat from a tube. The wrasse picks up any bits that the seahorse misses. She is usually waiting at the front of the tank at feeding time, unless she's hunting something down. The SH gets all of the larger whole pieces of mysis, then the corals get the rest later on when the wrasse goes to sleep.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bongo-Hadn't even thought about it until I felt the stickiness a few days ago when I was moving one fo the Dendro's. They were in the tank with the seahorses when I bought both (seahorses and Dendro's), so i never gave it a second thought. It's a shame, as I haven't been spot feeding the Dendro's since there is so much going in there... Oh well.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bongo-Hadn't even thought about it until I felt the stickiness a few days ago when I was moving one fo the Dendro's. They were in the tank with the seahorses when I bought both (seahorses and Dendro's), so i never gave it a second thought. It's a shame, as I haven't been spot feeding the Dendro's since there is so much going in there... Oh well.

So did you get the dendros out? I'm not trying to bash you or anything, just want to make sure the seahorses are safe. IMO seahorses are fairly hardy until they get something that allows a pathogen into their system. Once that happens it's no fun.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah. The wife told me that one of the males got snagged while they were trying to vie for the attention of the female that has been supplying eggs last Monday. Can't have that. Like I said, it's a shame, as now I have to add them to a spot feeding regimen...

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, Peka. Are you using the separator screen in the babies tanks (screens like the tank divider kits used to have)? I need to move some coral into my SH tank...

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you.. I'm a little obsessed :)

Yes, I use the dividers that they sell at petsmart but for the larger babies, I use mesh material from Michaels. The holes are larger and allow for more water flow. All the dividers are siliconed in.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tanks Peka! That a serious breeding setup there.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those your brine in the bottom right hand of the breeding pic??? If so, what are you feeding them?

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those your brine in the bottom right hand of the breeding pic??? If so, what are you feeding them?

Yes, those are adult brine in the picture. I feed them as a treat to the adults and juvies. I keep live phyto in that tank to keep the ammonia down. I go through the brine so fast that I normally don't feed it. What I do is gutload it with Dan's feed prior to feeding it out. The tank you see there is more of a holding tank for them.

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peka,

Very nice!!

Is that a file fish in with your erectus?

Yes, it is an aiptasia eating file fish that does not eat aiptasia.... but it did eat all the flatworms that I had in the tank :) Now it eats out of the dish with the horses. It is a very genlte slow moving fish and does fine in with my erectus.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've got a Mated file in with our erectus and it's been a model citizen, too. Ate all the Aips, but hasn't done much with the planaria;). I can live with that, though.

JasonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine back in its prime. Then I went on vacation for two weeks and the guy taking care of it let the algae get out of control. I'm in the process of trying to get it back to looking like this.
SANY0032.jpg

@gflat- You really shouldn't have those dendros in there with seahorses. They can and will sting them and cause ulcers which could lead to infection. If the polyps are big enough they could even eat the seahorse.

This tank is really fun !!

I was also wondering about the dendros ?? I wouldn't have them in there in My opinion. Mushrooms and the like are usually fine.

300leonhe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! thanks for posting. What sized tank is that and what do you have for filtration? Where do you get the sponges and macros from? Also what kind of seahorses are those? Thanks

Gulf Coast ecosystems is a good website to buy macro algae from. I've ordered from them and I was really impressed by how much stuff they gave me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back