Secret to keeping nems? Please share!

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a proper setting of Kesill a160we for RBTAs to bubble in a 12" deep tank? Can't figure out!
I had the same question. Couldn't find info anywhere on LED settings. I have an AI Prime 16HD over my 20g L (12" deep) where my nem was. Can't help but wonder if the lack of proper light settings led to his demise. :(

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some things I've learned over the years:
  1. Check your tank at night after the lights are out. A lot of things happen while we're sleeping. Check for corals with sweeper tentacles. For example, my pectinia has a ton of sweeper tentacles that aren't seen during the day. We typically think that anemones have powerful nematocysts, but sweeper tentacles can also irritate other corals and anemones.

2. Make sure the rocks have the proper shape for the anemone that you're planning to keep. Magnifica like flat surfaces. BTAs like to hide their foot deep in a crevice. Etc. Etc.

3. Some anemones wander more than others, and they wander for different reasons. BTAs are probably at the top of the list, and they wander simply because they feel like it. At least it feels that way. Magnifica start to wander when water parameters are somehow out of wack. They're my indicator of when it's time for a water change.

4. Compatibility can be an issue. To be safe, it's best to stick with one color morph of one anemone species. That said, many of us have tanks with many different kinds of anemones mixed together.

5. PIggy-backing on #4, it's best to run carbon to remove any chemicals that could irritate anemones and corals. Though I'm skeptical of anemone allelopathy, using carbon mitigates this.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ADDB1492-D177-47F1-BF2E-4E6CAB481F21.jpeg

Fourteen inches. Five splits. Two years old. Silversides once a week

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm the mixing is an interesting thought but I’ve seen a lot of people keep multiple species? I think I may try adding more btas (after I get the par meter to check lights) to give the clowns more options. At this point I’m thinking they may be the culprits bc everything else seems good. I think I’m down to only the rainbow bta now, although I think a 2nd smaller one is still around- saw it a few days ago, and there’s a green bta or lta I can see tips of tentacles sometimes. So next question that we didn’t touch on before that I just considered- I typically temp acclimate my nems and then do a 30 min drip, dump half the water and do another 15 min before introducing them to my tank. Could that process causes a very slow (weeks to months long) demise- could that be the problem? I know some people are big on the drip method but I’ve also read where a lot of you just temp acclimate and place in the tank? Is that successful? Idk if my red that I had for years was wild or captive. The bigger rainbow I have now is captive. Not sure about the 2 others.

24BF6FA0-16A7-4140-BF8C-2E0D90B794AE.jpeg

My acclimation is similar to yours. Don't think that's an issue. Didn't catch if you have multiple nem species but that is certainly and interesting theory that may have merit. Also someone mentioned temp. Mine run right at 80 in the winter and 76 in summer. Had a heater malfunction and tank got to 90 with no harm done to nems.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so not temp or acclimation. I’ll check for sweeper tentacles tonight. Right now I only have 2 btas left and one that is either a bta or lta. It was sold as a bta but it has a red base but it immediately ensconced in the rock work out of sight so I can’t really tell. The ocellaris are only in the green b or l ta and the skunk is only in the bta and none of the nems are within reach of each other.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I don’t remember if it was on this thread or another that I have going but I got my rented par meter- will post results for par of viparspectra 165s in a new thread tonight or tomorrow.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could help, I have the same problem though! My last anemone died not because of my nitrates or phosphates, but my stupid anemone shrimp ate the poor thing. Dang it my luck with those guys and sea urchins sucks!

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently boosting the lighting so that could be it but since my other nem did fine at the current settings I dont know. I thought that since btas can walk- if the settings are not to their liking, they will move until they find a happy place. PAR is currently like 80-100 on the sandbed and about 130ish where the previous nem chose to be and where my bigger rainbow is. Ill be getting it up to about 230 over the next week. (Is that too fast?) I have 2 more lights coming so I can potentially ramp up more. I saw no sweeper tentacles last night either. Frustrating.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently boosting the lighting so that could be it but since my other nem did fine at the current settings I dont know. I thought that since btas can walk- if the settings are not to their liking, they will move until they find a happy place. PAR is currently like 80-100 on the sandbed and about 130ish where the previous nem chose to be and where my bigger rainbow is. Ill be getting it up to about 230 over the next week. (Is that too fast?) I have 2 more lights coming so I can potentially ramp up more. I saw no sweeper tentacles last night either. Frustrating.
Yea they like a lot more light then that. Ramping it up slowly as you plan is going to be best for your other corals. I think the anemone would be better ramping a bit faster.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So at this point all my parameters are good, I’ve increased flow and light to get everything to a hopefully happier place. I got another green bta to help split up the clowns incase their aggression was the culprit. So now the pink skunk has one, the trio of ocellaris have one, and the maroon has one. As I get my additional lights today I’m going to try to move some of the rock work around for better light and flow. Hopefully that does it. Thank you all for your input- it’s been very appreciated!!

wranodj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely like good light. Had one move to the top for more. Definitely can kill corals.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back