Selling trident for a profit - okay or not?

Are you ok with the trident being bought to flip above retail price?

• Yep! That's capitalism, baby!

Votes: 100 41.3%
  • Eh... whatever... doesn't matter to me...

Votes: 76 31.4%
  • Nope! The greed has gone over the top!

Votes: 66 27.3%

• Total voters

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This should be fun, assuming it doesn’t get pulled.

I see tons of for sale threads on people with Neptune Tridents and they are selling them for $200+ above retail. There are people who say how unfair and wrong this is. Others think it’s okay.

What do you think, is this okay?

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be fun ... My 2c.

This isn't a life saving drug or some survival item (selling water at 200x the price during a hurricane) and not having one isn't going to crash your tank or kill your dog so I say if you can get someone to pay more power to ya.

That being said, and I could be wrong, buyer beware as I believe they said not having a proof of purchase at a Neptune approved retailer will void the warranty and on a new product that may be important.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with capitalism. For those that get one and want to flip it for a profit While they can so be it.... My nephew makes a fortune doing this with all kinds of crap. Limited edition sneakers for the sneaker heads of the world, tickets for games or concerts, anything that makes a profit. He puts in the time to wait for whatever said product may be and flips them within a few days typically.

I love the passion we see in this hobby most of the time but the whole Trident thing has kept me laughing in silence for months. Nobodies ever had one yet freaks out when they cant get one, like their system will crash tomorrow if they dont get it now!

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be fun, assuming it doesn’t get pulled.

I see tons of for sale threads on people with Neptune Tridents and they are selling them for $200+ above retail. There are people who say how unfair and wrong this is. Others think it’s okay.

What do you think, is this okay?
Those who do this (IMO) are just like scalpers at a concert. :mad::mad: They are taking advantage of those who feel desperate to have it. Sad in many ways, besides it is a nice to have Toy that is not needed at all. Not the only toy that does this.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Individuals selling over list? No problem. This is not a necessity, as far as being an ethical issue, like water after a hurricane. If businesses are charging over list in contravention of manufacturer policy then they could be hurting the manufacturer (and get cut off).

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually find it funny, people who get their panties in a twist because of what a person is selling an item for. If you aren’t interested in buying an item at a higher than perceived value price point, then move on. I see it all the time in for sale ads beyond the Trident, people blowing up other people’s for sale ads because they don’t agree with the seller’s pricing. If you take issue or want to negotiate a lower price, then take it to PMs and don’t ruin a person’s for sale thread.

At the end of the day, Trident or otherwise, an item is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it. If that person is not you, then move on. I think it’s unhealthy to get bent out of shape over someone else’s selling price, especially when you have no intention of buying it.

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who do this (IMO) are just like scalpers at a concert. :mad::mad: They are taking advantage of those who feel desperate to have it. Sad in many ways, besides it is a nice to have Toy that is not needed at all. Not the only toy that does this.
But the issue is, if there are people willing to spend that on whatever it may be then more fool them, they are the cause of it.

Now if you are talking about medicine or food etc then I have a problem with it. (but that's the way of the world)

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't bother me at all, if someone is willing to pay it more power to them. I'm actually glad they are hard to find. If they were in shelves everywhere I probably would have bought one already even though I don't need it yet. As is, I didn't buy one and will not pay above retail for one because of this I've been looking at the reefbot and I think I'd rather have that instead.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This isn't a life saving drug or some survival item (selling water at 200x the price during a hurricane) and not having one isn't going to crash your tank or kill your dog so I say if you can get someone to pay more power to ya.

Yea I do not get that part either.
The gotta have generation where they are afraid to be left out.
Reminds me of kids and the marketing for cereal or toys back in the day.

Personally I do not care either way. If someone wants to pay more and someone wants to sell it for higher so be it.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if someone wants to pay a premium for something that they could get a month or so down the road at regular price. All the power to those selling for more. The whole trident release has been pretty comical to watch. The amount of people clambering to be Neptunes first real world testers on a product blows my mind. It's like people forget the Apex 2016 and the fiasco those first buyers had with there units.

Now to be fair to Neptune they do seem to have spent there time on this release to work out the bugs beforehand, continually pushing back the release date in order to work kinks out. So for that I commend them, even though they took a lot of flack for that too lol

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply and demand. Thats all it is.
If you want one, every retailer is out, at least you have choice.
It these guys weren't "scalping" them, the public would have no choice but to just wait.
If you want the new 2020 car of your dreams, would by it in fall of 2019 for top dollar? Or do you have the patience to wait until 2021 when that price drops below SRP?

Diddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got one first release to BRS and I instantly regret not getting 2 because that night one sold on Ebay for 1500. Supply and Demand as others have said is all it is. I have since been able to get 2 more and yes while the market is hot i did make a profit on them. Hate me if you want but I basically paid for mine because of it.
Now after all that being said... Did you guys get upset at the ones charging 600 a head for Dragon Soul torch as soon as Indo got shut down? Did we all get our panties in a bunch over that? If someone has 600 and is willing to pay 600+ for something that was 120 a few weeks ago then more power to them. The ones that have Dragon Souls LOVE it ... again more power to them as well. My opinion :)

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought it was funny to see two sales threads almost identical, a day apart, from two different sellers.

Both claimed they bought one this week then received one as a gift. Both listed the trident for 850. Coincidence? These two guys should play the lotto if those stories are true.

Its everyone's right to buy and sell things as they choose. For me I wonder where that line is between hobbyist trying to make a buck and using the selling forums as a "business" for these guys who's posts are 90% sales threads

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got one first release to BRS and I instantly regret not getting 2 because that night one sold on Ebay for 1500. Supply and Demand as others have said is all it is. I have since been able to get 2 more and yes while the market is hot i did make a profit on them. Hate me if you want but I basically paid for mine because of it.
Now after all that being said... Did you guys get upset at the ones charging 600 a head for Dragon Soul torch as soon as Indo got shut down? Did we all get our panties in a bunch over that? If someone has 600 and is willing to pay 600+ for something that was 120 a few weeks ago then more power to them. The ones that have Dragon Souls LOVE it ... again more power to them as well. My opinion :)
If people are happy paying the price.. Why the hate? Anyone can just wait until there back in stock. Personally if I was set to get one, I would like to have the choice to pay just a couple hundred more to have it now instead of waiting months for new stock.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back