Sending out icp test in freezing weather

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was wondering if anyone has any info on sending in an icp test during this freezing weather in Chicago will cause my test values to be wrong. Being saltwater I assume it will not freeze during transportation but will the 15 degree temps effect the numbers when tested. Thru this whole tmp Fiasco I’ve decided to send in icp test just before I switch salts to give me a baseline. But I don’t want to send it in if the weather will change the results.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue, been wondering about that myself as I just sent one out from NY

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello I was wondering if anyone has any info on sending in an icp test during this freezing weather in Chicago will cause my test values to be wrong. Being saltwater I assume it will not freeze during transportation but will the 15 degree temps effect the numbers when tested. Thru this whole tmp Fiasco I’ve decided to send in icp test just before I switch salts to give me a baseline. But I don’t want to send it in if the weather will change the results.
From another thread from Randy Holmes-Farley:

"Triton did some tests at my request to freeze samples and see if there were changes. They saw none higher than normal noise."

part of it might depend on the company youre sending it to

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton ran some tests at my request a while back based in freezing since it hyperconcentrates the seawater as it freezes. That hyperconentration can lead to a special form of calcium carbonate (ikaite) precipitating, but it redissolves when warmed back up (unlike other CaCO3 forms). They said it seems to not cause issues.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From another thread from Randy Holmes-Farley:

"Triton did some tests at my request to freeze samples and see if there were changes. They saw none higher than normal noise."

part of it might depend on the company youre sending it to
Triton ran some tests at my request a while back based in freezing since it hyperconcentrates the seawater as it freezes. That hyperconentration can lead to a special form of calcium carbonate (ikaite) precipitating, but it redissolves when warmed back up (unlike other CaCO3 forms). They said it seems to not cause issues.
Great thank you so I will send one out today. I do have triton and ati I could send In. Have you any clue which might be better in this freezing temps ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thank you so I will send one out today. I do have triton and ati I could send In. Have you any clue which might be better in this freezing temps ?

Nope, i have no idea which companies have the best data, freezing or not.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since it seems like Triton has done the test - might be smart to use them?

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experiences (I have spent some time of my postgradual studies by working with ICP-MS/OES, LA-ICP-MS, AAS and AES), freezing and subsequent thawing of your samples could really have only neglectable effect on total amount of elements analyzed. In contrast, freeze drying is absolutely different story, but this will not be caused by the weather conditions. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back