Seneye pH - Marine correction

ddamerell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anybody is seeing the same as me with their Seneye. By default it reads an average pH of 8.2 which matches my Hannah probe and Red Sea reagent test. However when I tell the Seneye it's a marine tank it applies a correction and drops the pH to around 7.5. I'm aware of the Seneye page which discusses comparing their pH readings to other devices and kits but I find it hard to believe both the probe and test kit are both producing the same inaccurate reading. Note I've seen this behaviour on four slides so far

Sure I'm probably misinterpreting something in the Seneye documentation.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My seneye showed low PH as well (on the one card I used, i bought it for PAR). I just corrected it in the control panel to match my tested results. I had already checked off the "reef" setting so I didn't know it was from that. It also showed me random high peaks of ammonia which I could never verify with other tests so I never bought more slides because I don't need any unnecessary reasons to panic.

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anybody is seeing the same as me with their Seneye. By default it reads an average pH of 8.2 which matches my Hannah probe and Red Sea reagent test. However when I tell the Seneye it's a marine tank it applies a correction and drops the pH to around 7.5. I'm aware of the Seneye page which discusses comparing their pH readings to other devices and kits but I find it hard to believe both the probe and test kit are both producing the same inaccurate reading. Note I've seen this behaviour on four slides so far

Sure I'm probably misinterpreting something in the Seneye documentation.
I installed my Seneye a month ago and did not realize how important it was to soak the slide for 2 days PRIOR to installing it. I had put the first slide into the device and just let it "soak" in the monitor. I saw a discrepancy in my PH on the Seneye and all my other tests. I soaked the next month's slide before installing and all parameters are reporting correctly now.
seneye.JPG

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had the same issue. I also had a problem where it was reading correctly (~8.2) on marine mode, then I saw a rapid drop to 7.5ish. I check with red sea and api kits... shows it is 8.2. I uncheck the marine and it is showing 8.2. Changed the slide as I thought it may be a bad slide (slide was at ~16 days), soak slide for 24 hours, then install and it is showing the same low reading on marine, correct on non-marine. Contacted seneye, they said my setup must just "prefer" the non-marine setting.

But now I just don't trust the reading, so no longer buying slides.

OP
OP
D

ddamerell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my Seneye a month ago and did not realize how important it was to soak the slide for 2 days PRIOR to installing it. I had put the first slide into the device and just let it "soak" in the monitor. I saw a discrepancy in my PH on the Seneye and all my other tests. I soaked the next month's slide before installing and all parameters are reporting correctly now.
seneye.JPG
Do you have the marine checkbox checked?

Good point in soaking the slides they take time to fully saturate. They also fade during the month from where the light strikes the surface

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the marine checkbox checked?

Good point in soaking the slides they take time to fully saturate. They also fade during the month from where the light strikes the surface
I do have the Marine option checked under the options, so I am not seeing the same issue that you have. I mostly bought the Seneye as a PAR meter with the monitors as a bonus. I bought a 3 pack of slides with the device and will decide if I buy more slides once I use up all I have. I am only going to buy more slides if the PH stays accurate throughout the rest of slides.

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My seneye is probably affected by the light of my tunze chaeto reactor, which is probably too close. Every night when the light is on I see that the sensor reading drops by about 0.1 PH, so now after 5 nights it I have to correct it 0.5 PH

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 71.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back