Sexy Shrimp Eat Zoa Fringes

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Let me preface this by saying that I have read that Sexy Shrimp could pose a risk to Zoa's, but never proven. I decided to make this tank a Zoa/Paly garden after we committed to the Sexy Shrimp.

I also would like to say that I believe all of my corals are Zoa's even though half have been sold to me as Paly's. According to a lecture I attended at RAP Julian Sprung mentions that most are Zoanthus and not Palythoa. Pretty sure Nuclear Greens and Purple Deaths are the common Paly's that people actually have, most of the others are ugly and grow like weeds. I have neither. Therefore, I cannot say that this goes for Paly's (perhaps the toxin levels would hurt the Sexy Shrimp since they are much higher in Palythoa than Zoanthus).

I have a newly growing Zoa/Paly garden with 65 frags and counting. Tank is several months old, but only stocked 2-3 months. I added 5 Sexy Shrimp and 2 Pom Pom crabs about a week after the cycle and Zoa's/Paly's a few weeks following. I then added a cleanup crew about a month after. 2 of the dominant Sexy Shrimp remained after being together awhile - the others died off. Both Pom Pom still remain and 1 has already laid eggs.

The 2 Sexy Shrimp were keeping it real for awhile not showing any signs of eating the Zoa's. They enjoy dancing around them as if they are hosting. Well, after having the CUC for awhile I believe the food supply for the Sexy Shrimp dwindled to the point they found it easier to simply nibble on the fringes of the Zoa's. I noticed 10 days ago my nicer Zoa's only showing half the fringe. I had thought they were simply closed, but after looking more closely it appeared they were gone. Half the polyp would have the fringe open and the other half nothing. This appeared on 3 of my oldest Zoa's. Needless to say I have been very concerned as these ones were always wide open. Water quality good, no signs of pox, no signs of pests like nudi's. Spot feed every other day. Just could not figure out what was going on. I was even at RAP this past weekend and spoke with Julian Sprung about it. Failed to mention to him that I have Sexy Shrimp.

Well, yesterday I was staring at the tank prior to feeding and I noticed a Sexy Shrimp sitting on top of my small Scrambled Eggs colony which previously showed no signs of harm and he was very clearly eating the skirt! I had both of them out of the tank within 3 minutes and into my larger tank. When the Scrambled Eggs opened back up sure enough the skirt was gone from that exact location.

Guys, absolutely do not added Sexy Shrimps to a Zoa only tank even if you think you are overfeeding it like I did. I think they found that the enjoyed the taste of the skirts like I enjoy cookies and ice cream after dinner.

I really hope the skirts grow back.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like another headache lol. Have plenty of starfish in my larger tank, but never enough to keep one of those beauties.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a birds nest in my bigger tank. Zoa's only in the smaller tank. I did enjoy watching the Sexy Shrimp and I can still do so in the bigger tank - they just get lost a bit more. They destroyed the fringes of like 10 polyps across 4 different frags in less than 3 days.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp are known to munch on them mine wont let me keep them either

Oh I thought you were referring to the Harlequin Shrimp. Crap, I guess I will be taking my Sexy Shrimp back to the LFS then at some point once they find my Birdsnest in the tank I tossed them in..

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 8-10 sexy shrimp in a 2x2 cube nem tank with a few zoa colonies. I've never seen them leave the anemones for zoa snacks. Perhaps adding a rock flower or mini maxi would lure them away?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 8-10 sexy shrimp in a 2x2 cube nem tank with a few zoa colonies. I've never seen them leave the anemones for zoa snacks. Perhaps adding a rock flower or mini maxi would lure them away?

This tank of mine isn't the right tank for those guys unfortunately. Be mindful of your little Sexy Shrimp though - perhaps yours have found a good food supply they rely on which remains consistent. Mine I believe could not beat out the overhaul of hermits crabs I added which I have since removed.

ReeferJen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sexys ate ALL the tentacles off if my rock flower, and that was even after I got them a mini carpet. I have them all in a peacekeeper Bix while I figure out what to do with them.

I put the nem in the peacekeeper until I could catch the sexys. Now they're in the box in the nem is in a glass while it heals.
IMG_20181123_223016.jpeg
IMG_20181219_111312.jpeg
1545517647727.jpeg

Amberjade53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was between my zoas and shrimp they would be swimming in the porcelain graveyard

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 73 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 71 29.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 52 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back