• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexy's Spring Sponsored Salaciously Scandalous uhm...dangit, growout

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0463NEF.jpg

DSC_0471NEF.jpg

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing job you're doing man. Those 2 are putting down some flesh! You mush b feeding them well. Thank you!

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian has decided to step down as the grower for this grow out, I have received all of the frags from him. Here are all the pictures of the ones we have.

Freebie Chalice - totally forgot the name on this one, Golden Eye or something
Freebie.jpg

Golden Eye Superman
GOldenEyeSuperman.jpg

Rainbow Magic
RainbowMagic2.jpg

Shocker
Shocker-7.jpg

I will be kicking in a frag of my Fallen Sun (NOT RISING sun :tongue: ) to get us back on track with the grow out. :)

Last edited:

Beerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, thank you so much for handling this. Definitely don't need to put in anything of your own. I think just getting anything out of the one's Brian has is more than I expected. That freebie looks pretty sweet.

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I'd like a piece of the Fallen Sun you don't need to kick down a piece. You've done more than enough. Thanks for getting our corals back FINALLY!

Moochi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you handling the situation Scott. Problem resolve! But we still missing a chalice from Brian (Pink Diddy) from the freebee Mike from sexy coral gaved to us. And Brian did mention he would be putting in couple chalice of his own which I doubt see since he backed down as the grower.

Beerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you handling the situation Scott. Problem resolve! But we still missing a chalice from Brian (Pink Diddy) from the freebee Mike from sexy coral gaved to us. And Brian did mention he would be putting in couple chalice of his own which I doubt see since he backed down as the grower.

Pink Diddy and Pot of Gold I believe but I think at this point we just have to thank God for someone with the integrity of Scott. Another few weeks and some more of those would look like that Superman. Lol...Brian donating his share?! Let's just hope he gets his phone fixed.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home to check out the frags, and one of the chalices from the other grow outs is receding and doesnt look good. Also, the shocker is looking bad. I will keep you guys posted on what happens....

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heart has now sunken into a bottomless pit again. Thanks Scott for taking care of these for us. If anybody could nurse them back to health it would be you. Thank you Brian for nothing.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every other chalice (and tyree orange rainbows) look exactly like the above pictures, the Lingerie(from other grow out) and the Shocker are the only ones looking rough.

My procedure when i received them from Brian was to drip acclimate them for about 30-45 minutes, and any of the ones that were overgrowing the plug were re-plugged onto a large disc (i did not have to cut flesh, they just popped right off the frag plugs). After the drip i placed them underneath my frag rack out of direct light, and shaded by a few rocks which i set on top of the frag rack. I dimmed my lights to 40% of what they currently were to ease them into the new lights. Water parameters were (as of last night):

Calcium - 440
pH - 8.2
Alk - 10.2
Mag - 1440
Temp - 77/78
Phos ~ 0
trate ~ 0
trite ~ 0

Two only two things i can think of are the "shock" from moving from Brians water into my water, whatever that shock could have been...The other thing would have been too much light, even though they were all shaded and i completely ramped the lights down.

I will keep you guys posted daily.

Sugo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really kind of you to take on that grow out. It's usually a task that's too nerve wrecking and difficult task to take on. I hope your kindness is/should be WELL rewarded.

Nominations for reefer of the month? (ROTM).

Last edited:

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I was happy for you guys that scott has taken over but
Now I'm sad again the news of a couple of them not doing so well from
The move. :-(

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home to check the chalices and they look the same.

I also did a few tests on the containers of water that I had from Brian. Which found something interesting. I did each test 3 times to be sure

Alk - 8.4
Calcium - 410
Magnesium - 700 (to the best of my ability on testing this, it was below the charts, i had to reload with the reagent and keep titrating to get the final end point)

I am wondering if this massive Magnesium shock is what is causing this....

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home to check the chalices and they look the same.

I also did a few tests on the containers of water that I had from Brian. Which found something interesting. I did each test 3 times to be sure

Alk - 8.4
Calcium - 410
Magnesium - 700 (to the best of my ability on testing this, it was below the charts, i had to reload with the reagent and keep titrating to get the final end point)

I am wondering if this massive Magnesium shock is what is causing this....

That magnesium is really low and shows that the tank they were in was neglected. Whatever you are doing to keep them alive is more than appreciated. Thanks for the updates SD!

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you got the pieces back guys. SD, you are the man! Keep up the great work and props to you for taking on so much responsibility. It really sucks that they were neglected like that and I hope they all turn around and do better. Good luck!

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you got the pieces back guys. SD, you are the man! Keep up the great work and props to you for taking on so much responsibility. It really sucks that they were neglected like that and I hope they all turn around and do better. Good luck!

You're not doing bad yourself Frank :bigsmile:. Yours is the King of all growouts.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frags seem to have stopped dying...which is good. It does look like most of them basically look us back in time about 3 months. It kills me inside to post pictures of them, but i will try to get them up before the weekend.

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frags seem to have stopped dying...which is good. It does look like most of them basically look us back in time about 3 months. It kills me inside to post pictures of them, but i will try to get them up before the weekend.

At least the frags are still alive. Thanks for the update.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 96 41.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.5%
Back