• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexy's Spring Sponsored Salaciously Scandalous uhm...dangit, growout

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot that I have had the frags in for the past week is an interesting spot and for fear of "jynxing" it, i dont want to move them right now to get clear pictures, i will try to snap some tonight tho, might not be that clear.

All of the chalices are doing "ok" from what they went through last week. The shocker seems to have taken the biggest hit, although all of the chalices look like they have stopped dying, its hard to tell what will happen. I will update you guys as things change. Hopefully that they stopped dying means they are content with my water now and will make a full recovery....trying to be optimistic

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visual update for now. The pieces from Brian are still hanging in there. The Crazy Fox is just about spilling over the frag plug. And the Purple urkle FINALLY has about 4 (FOUR) new eyes coming in. I can see the spots starting to form under the surface, maybe a week or so before they are fully formed.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for now on the Brian pieces

Rainbow Magic - this thing took a big hit during the "acclimation" and has receded quite a bit, hoping for a comeback on this guy
Shocker - this took a hit and i have nightmares about it regularly, it has receded to about half its original size and lost a good deal of color, it has been at the same size for over a week now, so im hoping that this guy will make a come back, still a decent amount of solid flesh
Golden Freebie chalice - This guy is fine, no real issues with it

Crazy Fox - still big and beautiful
Purple Urkle - still massive and beautiful, four new eyes coming in

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones that are doing fine....

DSC_0295NEF-1.jpg

DSC_0300NEF.jpg

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update from the "Brian Frags" as i will be calling them.

The Shocker - this one, which i have been loosing sleep over, is finally starting to obey me....its color is returning quite rapidly and i think will make a full recovery. In terms of the size of the piece, it looks to be about 2/3 of the size of the original piece, so all things considered, it could be a lot worse (knock on wood)
Rainbow Magic - It took a big hit like i said a week ago, seems to be at a stand still, no visible change as of yet
Golden Freebie Chalice - no change from last update

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urkle
DSC_0368NEF.jpg

Crazy Fox
DSC_0366NEF.jpg

The great news is that the chalices are still coloring up, which is a great sign. They are almost all completely healed over and looking good. Best news of all IMO is that the Shocker is coloring back up awesomely....so glad this guy is pulling together.

Pictures soon...if you guys really want...still hard to look at though compared to what they were

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update: Things have really taken a turn for the BETTER on these guys, its really awesome to see chalices bounce back from the brink of hell.

Rainbow Magic - This guy as i had said, took a HUGE hit, and i honestly thought it was a goner. However, when inspecting it all last night, i noticed there is a substantial portion of the chalice that survived, it has just receded quite a bit. It has come back up, puffed up, and is eating. Color is still off, but its coming back.

Shocker - This thing is getting......BRIGHT!!!! It has yet to develop its nice reddish orange center, but its working on it, the yellow rim is very very bright (especially compared to what it was). Glad this guy is gonna make it.

Golden Freebie - Still doing fine

Purple Urkle - 4th eye forming on this, looking healthy as always

Crazy Fox - Still massive with its single lonely eye

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update man. This has been such a roller coaster I couldn't even remember which pieces we started out with. Glad we at least have these though. Looked back and I believe the unknown gold piece is the SC Pot of Gold. I knew if anybody could bring these pieces back it'd be you Scott. Awesome job and I'm excited again about this growout. Thanks!

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color is coming back and I can actually see some growth on the pieces. Crazy Fox and Urkle are still just spilling over their original frag-plug edges (onto the new 3" discs i placed them onto) with no new eyes yet.

And now for some news about the SC Shocker though.......its AMAZING!! It has formed its entire metallic yellow rim and the red centered base of the chalice is fully colored. Looks incredible from the brown nastiness it was about 6 weeks ago.

I had a few bills to pay and sold my camera (i was terrible at using it anyways). But i purchased a much cheaper camera with the proceeds, which arrives tomorrow so I will get pictures up as soon as it arrives.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the much anticipated pics...

Four Caveats:
1. Not used to the new camera + my **** poor photography skills
2. The pieces have been to hell and back and still need time to get back to the true color.
3. I tried taking pics in pure blue light and pure white light, and both circumstances seemed to show no color. This seemed to be the best balance between the two, even though it looks to majorly be blue
4. There are some old dead frags on this rack that are not related to any grow out.

Yellow Freebie - Bottom Left
Shocker - Top Right
YellowFreebie.jpg

Shocker - Right
shocker-8.jpg

Purple Urkle - Far Left (5 eyes now)
boobiesboomboomurkle.jpg

I realized i forgot a picture of the Crazy Fox. It is still a single eye but its spilled over the whole frag plug. Looking good.

I will keep working with the camera and post pictures as i improve to show the true colors.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Urkle and Crazy Fox (still one **** eye!!!)
-I am really unsure what the white thing on the urkle is....not affecting any growth...its not a dead spot, just weird flesh growth....
DSCN2291.jpg

DSCN2275-1.jpg

DSCN2274-1.jpg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 96 41.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back