Sharks, Rays? What?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I just got a custom tank- 5x5x1.5
I really want a shark or ray, I dont have to worry about when the get bigger- my local aquarium will take it. I really want something that will move around. I will either have a small layer of sand or a bare bottom- its a frag tank. (Yes i know, a bit big for a frag tank. I say go big or go home) I'm just open to suggestions. I'd also like to know where you guys have gotten your sharks/rays. Im looking at liveaquaria- they are out of stock for the next 2 months. I really like the cat sharks or the bamboo sharks and the blu spotted ray. Just asking!
Thanks
-MSB

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue spotted rays, while beautiful, are very delicate. They are known to randomly drop dead. You might consider "Kuhli" or Diamond Rays or Cortez rays instead. Good sharks are Epaulette, any of the Bamboo/Cat shark species. As far as sources go, that will be a challenge. If you have a LFS that sources from a local wholesaler, that may be the best bet. Shipping sharks and rays is problematic for all but the smallest sized ones.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue spotted rays, while beautiful, are very delicate. They are known to randomly drop dead. You might consider "Kuhli" or Diamond Rays or Cortez rays instead. Good sharks are Epaulette, any of the Bamboo/Cat shark species. As far as sources go, that will be a challenge. If you have a LFS that sources from a local wholesaler, that may be the best bet. Shipping sharks and rays is problematic for all but the smallest sized ones.
If i were to get one, it will be the smallest one I can find. I have no LFS and the only way i'm able to get fish is through shipping them. I wish this was not the case. I live in SoCal and i should drive to LA soon and see if anyone there has anything.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed regarding the blue spotted rays. Cortez (Urobatis maculatus), U. halleri or U. jamaicensis are for sure the best bet for captive rays. They are available fairly locally, stay relatively small (just about 12" disc), are hardy and very showy (they are super active).

For sharks, Australian epaulettes are by far my favorite aquarium appropriate shark. Mixing in a cat or horn shark can make for an interesting display too.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not something to be undertaken lightly... I recommend getting to know the folks over at http://sharkraycentral.com/

They have some very good information on various species you might want to keep, and occasionally, sources for captive bred animals.

Check http://www.sharksupply.com for in stock species... they will want proof that your tank is of sufficient size to keep the species you're asking about.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i were to get one, it will be the smallest one I can find. I have no LFS and the only way i'm able to get fish is through shipping them. I wish this was not the case. I live in SoCal and i should drive to LA soon and see if anyone there has anything.
Oh, I didn't know you were local here in So Cal. There are stores that regularly carry sharks and rays. The ones I know of are: LAX Aquarium in Los Angeles, Seaside Tropical Fish in Huntington Beach, Age of Aquariums in Long Beach.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I didn't know you were local here in So Cal. There are stores that regularly carry sharks and rays. The ones I know of are: LAX Aquarium in Los Angeles, Seaside Tropical Fish in Huntington Beach, Age of Aquariums in Long Beach.
Yeah- Im Up in Santa Barbara

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not something to be undertaken lightly... I recommend getting to know the folks over at http://sharkraycentral.com/

They have some very good information on various species you might want to keep, and occasionally, sources for captive bred animals.

Check http://www.sharksupply.com for in stock species... they will want proof that your tank is of sufficient size to keep the species you're asking about.
100%. Most shark and ray people won't sell the fish to you unless you pass the test.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I totally agree with why they do this! Its horrible to keep an animal like that in a small tank. Personally, it will be in my tank for 2-4 weeks when it is still very small- then my local aquarium will take it.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back