OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need algae ID!!! THis stuff is taking over my tank and I have no idea how to stop it. I got a new test kit and nitrates and ammonia are all ~0 using the red sea kit and phosphate is ~0 using API (I need to get a better one)

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my snails or crabs eat it. I was thinking of trying a lettuce nudibranch, suggestions? At this point I will try anything

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is bryopsis, try the tech m treatment. Kent marine makes it. Somehow using it and getting mag levels above the 1600 ppm area kills it off. There is a chemical in the Kent marine stuff that does it, no other brand works the same by raising mag.... from what I've read and seen.

I was hit by it once in a past tank and dosed tech m. Once levels reached the 1600 ppm mark it started to die off.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats not bryopsis, thats good, old fashion green hair algae. bryopsis has little "fans" on the tips of them while gha is smooth and straight. Were you able to get that ATS going right at all? That should solve the algae problems. If not try a sea hare or manual removal and some sort of phosphate/nitrate remover like red sea no pox.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is bryopsis, try the tech m treatment. Kent marine makes it. Somehow using it and getting mag levels above the 1600 ppm area kills it off. There is a chemical in the Kent marine stuff that does it, no other brand works the same by raising mag.... from what I've read and seen.

I was hit by it once in a past tank and dosed tech m. Once levels reached the 1600 ppm mark it started to die off.
Does that still work? I heard that they changed the formula up

thats not bryopsis, thats good, old fashion green hair algae. bryopsis has little "fans" on the tips of them while gha is smooth and straight. Were you able to get that ATS going right at all? That should solve the algae problems. If not try a sea hare or manual removal and some sort of phosphate/nitrate remover like red sea no pox.
A tiny bit of stuff is growing in the ATS but not much, I'll check on it tomorrow. Would a nudi work or would it have to be a sea hare, also what can you tell me about the No pox stuff? Going to go read up on it a bit.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning to hair algae, but at the same time....In my case I had a bit and it was way more thin and stringy then what I see in your photo's. The first photo I would definitely say hair algae

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you deal with it?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you deal with it?
Mine started on the glass and I took a paper towel and scrubbed it off (yes lol a paper towel) and spent a lot of time doing some nutrient export for about a week, and finally it went away. The little bit that was on my frag plugs, I just dipped in peroxide mix and it died and floated off. I'm sure there are smarter ways of doing this, but that's the route I took.
It was also 37 gallons less than your tank

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy did some vodka dosing on his larger setup and that seemed to work out just fine.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll try the peroxide dip for the frag plugs!

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I've battled hair algae before and those strands looks thicker then I'm thinking. Snails and crabs should at least pick at HA. Besides, shouldn't the ats work to eliminate the HA, where bryopsis could still form?

If it is just HA, with a working ATS it should go away. Assuming th ATS is working correctly. Carbon dosing would work, but also cheat the ATS of its needed nutrients to work.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I've battled hair algae before and those strands looks thicker then I'm thinking. Snails and crabs should at least pick at HA. Besides, shouldn't the ats work to eliminate the HA, where bryopsis could still form?

If it is just HA, with a working ATS it should go away. Assuming th ATS is working correctly. Carbon dosing would work, but also cheat the ATS of its needed nutrients to work.
See, I thought it was different than what I've dealt with before, each strand is independent and not part of a clump

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 56 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back