OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like phosphate coming out of the rocks. Should burn out in a few weeks/months if you keep the nutrients low in the water.
Thats good to hear!

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to find out how to get rid of it. Def not hair algae, much thicker and my 27 tangs and sea hair will not touch it. I thought it was briopsis too because I did have some, but I raised my mag ridiculously high...like 2700 and took no effect. I have a frag tank with a sea hare and a mimic tang that I have thrown tons of different algae at them and they've destroyed every one but won't touch this.
I'd highly recommended removing the rock if possible.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Need algae ID!!! THis stuff is taking over my tank and I have no idea how to stop it. I got a new test kit and nitrates and ammonia are all ~0 using the red sea kit and phosphate is ~0 using API (I need to get a better one)

I kno i might sound crazy, but is it ridiculously hard to grab off the rocks and you could squeeze it like bubble algae?

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kno i might sound crazy, but is it ridiculously hard to grab off the rocks and you could squeeze it like bubble algae?
.....it is and I do have a few bubble algae bubbles

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to find out how to get rid of it. Def not hair algae, much thicker and my 27 tangs and sea hair will not touch it. I thought it was briopsis too because I did have some, but I raised my mag ridiculously high...like 2700 and took no effect. I have a frag tank with a sea hare and a mimic tang that I have thrown tons of different algae at them and they've destroyed every one but won't touch this.
I'd highly recommended removing the rock if possible.
The problem is that it's on all the rocks and a few of the frag plugs

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that it's on all the rocks and a few of the frag plugs
That sucks. I have it growing in my zoas and if you pull it out, it usually brings a couple polyps with it too. There is no way to remove it all so I know it will come back

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the exact problem I am having, it is all over the zoa frags and colonies and so it's impossible to remove it all :(

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at this point I'm tempted to dump gasoline into my tank, set it on fire and walk away. This is the amount of algae I have pulled out of my tank I'm two weeks but it hasn't even made a dent :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy :(

Not a battle I want to take part in. If it were me I would pull all the rock and give them a good cleaning.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats part of the problem it spread so rapidly that its on most of the rocks and frag plugs. The only real option for that would be to pull it all out and start with new dry rock

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Males get big and start straying from algae and onto meat.. as in fish :D. Plus they look scary... The other day at my lfs they found one that was about 4-5" that just browned out and ate shrimp
Yes. We had one we named gangsta crab.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my war aganist the great algae horde, I will be upping my efforts by getting a much better phospahte test kit, a CUC from LA and good ol' fashion elbow grease. My plan is to remove as much as possible and to do water changes to help offset all the junk I will probably kick up.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man you'll get the right combo and it will be gone in a couple weeks! Just keep plugging away!

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well still don't have the algae under control but my corals do not seem to care at all! (some of the pics are a little out of focus, still getting the hang of the porthole form @AVAST Marine but so far love it!!!). On the aglae side of things, its been weird. The green algae has started to turn red for some reason.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those type of algae dig into the rocks and can last longer, using nutrients from the rock, but will eventually let go once nutrients are low enough for long enough.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back