Status
Not open for further replies.

kveille

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very misleading to use someone else's pick and call it your own. I wonder if the pack he selling right now are his pics or someone else's. I just assumed that all vendors used pictures of their colonies or frags when selling something, but I guess this vendor doesn't. I would be very upset if I were you.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys.. nayrgaijin is right. We built the site in a few weeks and at the last minute we had to use a few picture that we found online. But since we removed all of the pictures that are not ours and as you can see, we forgot this one.. Everything else are my pictures.. I have apologized to this person and offer him a deal if he was to ever order from us. I am a hobbist and new to this selling online thing so i do apologize. I did not know that using pictures i googled online would upset people. I see my pictures used by other site and even by other vendors on here and i do not mind nor do i say anything.

thanks
mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrouperGenius

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike and I talked and he is going to take the picture down and replace with one of his own. Actually, I was kinda flattered that someone liked the pic enough to use it like that. But I guess it is kind of misrepresenting. I'm sure his Mohawks look just fine, but I still say these are Chong Bongs. I have both and they are totally different.

kveille

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike

Thanks for clarifying everything. I am glad to know this is just an oversight and not common practice.

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is as I see it, they aren't being good neighbors by just asking you for your permission to snag the picture. If I need to borrow a tool from my neighbor, I just don't go over to his garage and take it, I knock on the door and ask if I can use it.

I won't buy from an outfit that doesn't respect common courtesy.

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys

Before you all gang up on anyone.

If you use photobucket or anything like that you your pictures are pubic property.\

By the way its a picture of coral, not an exclusive shot of some major event.

its happened to me and as long as the person acknowledges it and gives you credit, id be kinda flattered that my picture was good enough to be used on a store.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you use photobucket or anything like that you your pictures are pubic property.\

its happened to me and as long as the person acknowledges it and gives you credit, id be kinda flattered that my picture was good enough to be used on a store.
i think ya got a little typo there ...that would be nasty if ya ask me...:)lol lol

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Integrity and Ethics

Are you seriously quesitoning this guys integrity and ethics?

I think some of you guys have your head way to far up the sea cucumbers butt.

He said he was wrong and did it in haste, its not like these are proffessional photos that you get paid for.

By the way Ocean in a BOX, i think its unethical for you to post and flame a fellow sponsor in a public forum.

Last edited:

crab0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You still can't use them as your own. You still own the rights to your pictures unless you state otherwise. I can't use someone elses pictures in a student's presentation without permission unless they have stated the pics can be used without restriction. As we become more technologically advanced in the classroom things like this come up more often, which of course leads to more training! :bigsmile:

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Photobucket

6.1 Photobucket does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post on or through the Photobucket Services. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content). After you remove your Content from the Photobucket Website we will cease distribution as soon as practicable, and at such time when distribution ceases, the license to such Content will terminate. If after we have distributed your Content outside the Photobucket Website you change the Content’s privacy setting to "private," we will cease any further distribution of such "private" Content outside the Photobucket Website as soon as practicable.

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most parts of the world, including the U.S., Canada, EU countries, and Japan, you are automatically granted copyrights to your photos when uploaded to the internet.

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeB

All im saying is this thread is a little crazy and for another sponsor to talk about another sponsor in a public forum is crazy.

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6.1 Photobucket does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post on or through the Photobucket Services. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content). After you remove your Content from the Photobucket Website we will cease distribution as soon as practicable, and at such time when distribution ceases, the license to such Content will terminate. If after we have distributed your Content outside the Photobucket Website you change the Content’s privacy setting to "private," we will cease any further distribution of such "private" Content outside the Photobucket Website as soon as practicable.

After done some research, I think you are right about that. In addtion, the vendor is being honest for what he's done and has already came to an agreement with GrouperGenius. Let's leave it alone and move on...:wink:

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All im saying is this thread is a little crazy and for another sponsor to talk about another sponsor in a public forum is crazy.

I hear you but ..

If you use photobucket or anything like that you your pictures are pubic property.

That statement is wrong. That's why I wanted to clarify that images are automatically granted copyrights to the original owner once uploaded on the internet.

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike B

If you read photobckets statements anyone can use them or change them and use them.

As long as your a photobucket member.

I know that they are copyrighted but when you post them there they become public domain.

The only thing that im really bother by are the vendor comments. Everyone else can give opinions and god bless them for doing it, but another vendor should watch what he says about other sites, when his own pictures dont match the products.

Thats bad business

Last edited:

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, some of you guys have the wrong idea. Its not so much that they are using the pics or if its legal or not. They are using the pics of someone elses corals to sell there own corals.
Do you not understand why that can be an issue? We are buying online from these guys. The pics are the only thing we have to go by to judge the corals well being.
Its the only thing we can look at for example and say "yeah, that is a real purple hornet". If he googles purple hornet and uses the nicest pic he finds does that mean he has real purple hornets? Just because a vendor says he has a mummy eye for sale doesn't mean it is in fact the mummy eye you are familliar with. Being able to see the actual colony and judge it for yourself is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 91 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%
Back