should I keep my zoas off my main rock structure?

Fyveonit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all corals fight, but how invasive are zoas? will they just cover my main rockscape like a weed? I see some folks have them on an island...some don't...

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!!!!!! Keep them off the main structure, put them on their own islands.

I wish someone would have told me this before I did it and now I have to redo my entire rock structure cause the zoas are taking over.

OP
OP
Fyveonit

Fyveonit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice...I Luuuurv me some zoas but don't want a war on my hands. Island it is!

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a group of zoas that have found a home on my main rock structure. I like the look of it. I will probably try and keep them contained in a small-ish area, but big rocks covered in bright greens and reds is a nice addition I think.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really this all depends. Some zoanthinds grow really fast, others not so much. Depending on the type and what you have them next to, other corals can keep them at bay. If they grow fast, just frag them and sell them to a LFS or other hobbiest.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any problems with zoanthids growing on the main rock structure. When they get too close to something I'll just use some tweezers and rip out what I need to right before a water change. Some will be destroyed in the process while the others will become frags. If there's any tissue left behind I'll just smother that with some epoxy. Piece of cake.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really this all depends. Some zoanthinds grow really fast, others not so much. Depending on the type and what you have them next to, other corals can keep them at bay. If they grow fast, just frag them and sell them to a LFS or other hobbiest.
+1
I have a zoa tank so my vote is yes! :) That said, just frag them if they grow where you don't want them. With a few exceptions they don't grow crazy fast and take over.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to do in tank fraging? I'm also doing a zoa tank and have everything on plugs on frag racks right now because I have not decided on my aquascape yet.

When 2 different zoas are placed on the same rock and once they grow enough to start touching each other, will one start growing on top of the other? What will happen?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to do in tank fraging? I'm also doing a zoa tank and have everything on plugs on frag racks right now because I have not decided on my aquascape yet.

When 2 different zoas are placed on the same rock and once they grow enough to start touching each other, will one start growing on top of the other? What will happen?
Depends on the zoa. Some will over grow and some won't. Some just kinda mix in together. Some may even sting others... like your basic yellow polyps. To frag in the tank, I use a razor or scalpel to cut the base and try to peel it off the rock.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1470.JPG
Here's what it would look like

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back