Should I target feed my corals? Recommend a well rounded coral food (probably not Reef Roids)?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to broadcast feed, but that seemed to feed the vermetid snails more than the corals so I stopped. That said, my nutrients are running a bit low and I think some of my corals could benefit from food. . .

have you seen a difference when switching from broadcast to target feeding or vice versa???

Regardless of your feeding style what product would you recommend? I would prefer a single product if possible.

I have used Reef Roids and saw a phosphate spike. . . could have been a coincidence but would like to try something else?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to broadcast feed, but that seemed to feed the vermetid snails more than the corals so I stopped. That said, my nutrients are running a bit low and I think some of my corals could benefit from food. . .

have you seen a difference when switching from broadcast to target feeding or vice versa???

Regardless of your feeding style what product would you recommend? I would prefer a single product if possible.

I have used Reef Roids and saw a phosphate spike. . . could have been a coincidence but would like to try something else?
I do broadcast feed reef chili but when I target feed I use mysis. I’ve heard Benepets does not raise phosphates.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
On this topic though, I'd love it if these foods listed how much a teaspoon raised x amount of water a certain amount of phosphates.

I've tried a lot of them. Hikari Coral Frenzy, Fauna Marin Coral Dust for Ricordea and Zoa's, Goniopower, Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy, Benepets, BRS Reef Chili.

The ones that seem to raise phosphates the most are Reef Chili, Reef Roids, and Goniopower (although this i suspect is just due to how much spreads around because target feeding gonis is much different than say an acantho).

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use reef chili and brightwell amino. Always had really good results. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on what type of corals you keep. Is your tank dominated by a certain type of coral?
SPS dominant but I have a little of everything. . . acros, sytlos, pocillos, hammers, spawns, blastos, chalices, galaxea, zoas, shrooms, acans, hydnaphoras and probably a few others. . .

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started using Reef Roids I feed based on amounts for a 55, however I feed far more frequently than I should have (learning) and phosphates spiked, now I feed maybe once every week RR and other times mysis.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used benepets and roids, benepets works good, lobo, candy cane, dendro all love it, not sure on my acros, they've only been in there 4 months. The fish like it too as it has a few little white floaties they love to eat.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benepets is a great multi size particle blend that doesn’t raise phosphates.

I also have started broadcast and target feeding brightwell Reef blizzard S which was demonstrated and recommended by ReefBuiders in a video on gonipora care

I typically take a cup of tank water, mix in the above two foods, add 2-3 squirts brightwell amino acids, stir, let sit for 5-10 min, then target or broadcast feed the mix. Sometimes I additionally add in goniopower also

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the coral. My blasto wellsi take down like 4 huge chunks of mysis each head. Acans and smaller blastos and euphelia like smaller chunks. Things like acros, montis, favia gonis like smaller stuff.

I know you dont want to hear this but my corals overall show the biggest feeding response from target feeding reef roids followed by reef chili. Benereef i get no response from some and a little from others but doesnt seem to be liked by everything. Prob not enough phos in it.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on the coral. My blasto wellsi take down like 4 huge chunks of mysis each head. Acans and smaller blastos and euphelia like smaller chunks. Things like acros, montis, favia gonis like smaller stuff.

I know you dont want to hear this but my corals overall show the biggest feeding response from target feeding reef roids followed by reef chili. Benereef i get no response from some and a little from others but doesnt seem to be liked by everything. Prob not enough phos in it.
Still good to know, could very well have been user error on my part. As someone discussed above maybe I was overfeeding it. I am looking for an "all in one" product and if Reef Roids is the best option it may be worth reconsidering. . .

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like red beard said the fish def love the benereef. Go right into corals for it. Reef roids not so much.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still good to know, could very well have been user error on my part. As someone discussed above maybe I was overfeeding it. I am looking for an "all in one" product and if Reef Roids is the best option it may be worth reconsidering. . .

I think if your nutrients low i would go reef roids. Its overall the best. Def raises phos but sounds like you need some.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just do what I do lol - take 2 or 3 products and mix them and you have MoshJosh custom all in one feeding powder! Just shake an even amount of each up in jar and take from it when you need to

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make the ratio like 75% benereef / other foods and 25% reef roids

This way you can feed roids and not let phosphate get too out of hand, and who knows maybe when the corals eat the roids they will grab some of the other food and adapt to like it

I have 3 fish that would only eat frozen food and wanted to get them on flake. They always ignored it. I started mixing the flake food in with the mysis. They still ignored the flake. Then I started mixing in just the juice from the mysis with the flake, and they tried it and liked it! After a few feedings I was able to eliminate the mysis juice completely and now they will eat mysis or flake food - more convenient for me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back