Should I target feed my corals? Recommend a well rounded coral food (probably not Reef Roids)?

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS dominant but I have a little of everything. . . acros, sytlos, pocillos, hammers, spawns, blastos, chalices, galaxea, zoas, shrooms, acans, hydnaphoras and probably a few others. . .
Oyster feast is a good mix and is small enough for SPS.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
… frozen food “particles” also work…
quick thawing frozen food usually breaks open the excoskeletons of mysis et
…I then squirt the water from thawed frozen food in and around the corals
fwiw ANY properly sized and moistened commercial food works IMO. edit add “more or less”

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
fwiw ANY properly sized and moistened commercial food works IMO. edit add “more or less”
I was thinking about this. I do thaw my food right before feeding and usually throw out the juices. . . maybe I should just use that to feed the corals. . .

I did have some reef roids laying around so I did give that a try this morning. . .

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality first then feeding. Lots of people do at the expense of having good water

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to broadcast feed, but that seemed to feed the vermetid snails more than the corals so I stopped. That said, my nutrients are running a bit low and I think some of my corals could benefit from food. . .

have you seen a difference when switching from broadcast to target feeding or vice versa???

Regardless of your feeding style what product would you recommend? I would prefer a single product if possible.

I have used Reef Roids and saw a phosphate spike. . . could have been a coincidence but would like to try something else?
I feed PE mysis to my corals, all of my LPS are big enough to eat it, I spotfeed every night as I'm also struggling with low nutrients

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I hadnt thought of that. I usually add my cubes to a few oz tank water to quick thaw, then chuck the whole lot behind the powerhead. Super quick broadcast feed to the whole tank. Even the dendro usually catches a few pieces before the fish have had a chance to gobble it all up. Im sure the stonies have been inadvertently being fed this whole time...

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed PE mysis to my corals, all of my LPS are big enough to eat it, I spotfeed every night as I'm also struggling with low nutrients
Have the same issure with nitrates, but phos is still like .1. I have been doing Randy's diy ammonia dosing with success. Everything is really colorful, good PE, ALK consumption increased, no crazy spikes of anything. If you feel that may help i would certainly recommend for a N boost.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to broadcast feed, but that seemed to feed the vermetid snails more than the corals so I stopped. That said, my nutrients are running a bit low and I think some of my corals could benefit from food. . .

have you seen a difference when switching from broadcast to target feeding or vice versa???

Regardless of your feeding style what product would you recommend? I would prefer a single product if possible.

I have used Reef Roids and saw a phosphate spike. . . could have been a coincidence but would like to try something else?
I do not specifically feed anything to coral.

They get all they need from light and fish waste.

Of course if you are running a tank with no fish, you probably need to supplement.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the same issure with nitrates, but phos is still like .1. I have been doing Randy's diy ammonia dosing with success. Everything is really colorful, good PE, ALK consumption increased, no crazy spikes of anything. If you feel that may help i would certainly recommend for a N boost.
I've been feeding a cube a day just for corals and my po4 is still at .02, this probably has something to do with it but I'm planning for anthias and want a hefty nutrient export system
20231222_165940.jpg

That's all GHA

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back