Should I use a Ultaviolet sterilizer

rlculver09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bout a 125 gallon tank from someone and he gave me the lifegaurd sterilizer that he was using.I was just wonding,Is it a go thing to use these or a bad thing I read up a little on it and it says it keeps you water clear but does it kill everything that the corals need to live.Thought I could get some input.It is 25 watt uv sterilizer.He actually gave me the one he was usuing and a brand new one in the box.
Thanks,
RObin

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An unnecessary piece of equipment IMHO. The UV sterilizers that are sold for aquariums are really undersized to do much good. A lot of stores use them to try to keep parasites off their fish, but if you quarentine you should not have that issue.
My .02

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had one on my setup for a little over a year. after upgrading my filtration i didnt have room for it. i have it for sale if you are interested...pm for pics and details.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for years on a heavily stocked fish only system and swear by them for that application but not for a reef tank. They do kill a necessary part of the food chain which will effect corals and live fauna in a reef system.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for years on a heavily stocked fish only system and swear by them for that application but not for a reef tank. They do kill a necessary part of the food chain which will effect corals and live fauna in a reef system.

+1. I have one on my FOWLR and it does help the water clarity and fish health.

OP
OP
rlculver09

rlculver09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No actually I have 2 now and one is new still in the box, If anyone wants to trade them for some corals pm me.
Thanks for the advice,
RObin

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont use one on any of my reef tanks. some people swear by them, but i've never found them to be of any use to me.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is one of the pieces of equipment that some people swear by and some people don't! I have seen gorgeous reef tanks with them and gorgeous reef tanks without them. What works for some don't work for others. I guess to me it all boils down to a personal preference!

Eric

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and and I swear by it to keep ICH under control in my reef. I have a PB tang, Achllles tang and a black tang, which are all very suceptible to ICH. If I turn the UV off the ICH starts to appear within a few days on the tangs. I am sure it kills good things too, but my pod and critter population is massive regardless.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and and I swear by it to keep ICH under control in my reef. I have a PB tang, Achllles tang and a black tang, which are all very suceptible to ICH. If I turn the UV off the ICH starts to appear within a few days on the tangs. I am sure it kills good things too, but my pod and critter population is massive regardless.

That is strange...

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it strange that when you remove the UV you get Ich.. Must be some unique fish you have there...Not trying to be rude or anything, it just sounds strange is all. I have a LOT of tangs in my current system & none of them get it or have had it. Usually Ich will get on fish (Tangs) that are stressed out for some reason or another. Ich lives in the sandbed & is not going to be irradicated by using UV..

Last edited:

chrisalmand

I heart reefer(s)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich lives in the sandbed & is not going to be irradicated by using UV..
This is half true. While the more mature specimans live in the sand/liverock, etc, the newly hatched are free floating. This is why UV sterilizers are so effective agaist ICH outbreaks. If used properly a UV sterilizer can be an extremely effective tool against parasites AND algae.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it strange that when you remove the UV you get Ich.. Must be some unique fish you have there...Not trying to be rude or anything, it just sounds strange is all. I have a LOT of tangs in my current system & none of them get it or have had it. Usually Ich will get on fish (Tangs) that are stressed out for some reason or another. Ich lives in the sandbed & is not going to be irradicated by using UV..

ICH doesnt "live" in the sand bed, it lives on the fish, then falls to the bottom of the tank and then reproduces and floats through the water column until it attaches to a new host. If you are running a UV light it will kill the ICH that is floating in the water column before it finds a new host, thus reducing the amount in the tank. So ICH is not going to be "irradicated" by a UV light but it will greatly reduce it.

Whatever, I am just stating my experience with a UV light as was the purpose of this thread, I have no reason to make it up, I couldnt care less if you find it "strange"!!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 62 46.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back