Show me what you feed your adult Volitan Lionfish!

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to vary our Volitan’s diet more. He gets 1-2 silversides every other day right now (he was getting fed daily but due to his lower activity levels it was overfeeding him). I’m going to be raising some mollies and feeder shrimp as well to just release into his tank occasionally to up his activity levels, but Im looking at buying some squid tubes, and shrimp.

would head-on shrimp work like this, or will peeled be okay?
7C15EC8B-EA96-40B1-9145-86C49528DB5E.jpeg

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
juvenile mollies are perfect for him because he exerts so much energy to catch each one, and they’re not much of a meal lol.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head on shell shrimp is actually good as they contain more required nutrients, just cut to bite size and trim any sharp edges. You can also offer a fatty fish, salmon is usually the most readily available and affordable. Mussels are a good source of vit B1, scallops and any fresh seafood they will accept. Make sure the brand of silversides is actually true silversudes or a dish that does not contain thiaminese like smelt. Volitans are generally agreeable to accept a variety of foods but they will take what they like, so just try a variety. Sometimes they will take some foods for a while then refuse, in turn will accept something they refused earlier.

Hikari now uses smelt as the species of fish which contains a good amount of thiaminese, which binds vit B1. San Francisco brand is the only true sikverside I know of, but that doesn't mean some other brands aren't good.

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head on shell shrimp is actually good as they contain more required nutrients, just cut to bite size and trim any sharp edges. You can also offer a fatty fish, salmon is usually the most readily available and affordable. Mussels are a good source of vit B1, scallops and any fresh seafood they will accept. Make sure the brand of silversides is actually true silversudes or a dish that does not contain thiaminese like smelt. Volitans are generally agreeable to accept a variety of foods but they will take what they like, so just try a variety. Sometimes they will take some foods for a while then refuse, in turn will accept something they refused earlier.

Hikari now uses smelt as the species of fish which contains a good amount of thiaminese, which binds vit B1. San Francisco brand is the only true sikverside I know of, but that doesn't mean some other brands aren't good.
Thank you for the heads up of hikari using smelts! They are enhanced with thiamine and b12 (or at least says so on the packaging, but they also say silversides so) so hopefully that helps. We get san fran bloodworms so i will see if we can switch to their silversides instead. I will also grab some mussels for the b12!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where did you find the information about the Hikari silverslides? Are the San Francisco Bay also treated with vitamins?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back