Show me your bestest smallest fish (current or future)

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red-spots-1200px-jpg.308454

Red Spot Cardinals are the closest but they don't ship well or seem to survive for very long.
Interesting! I will have to look into their typical lifespan.

carol3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great group of 6 masked gobies. They like each other and unlike other gobies these are always swimming around, I wouldn't call it schooling exactly because at 40 gal. my tank is a bit too small for that. These guys don't hang out on the substrate or in the rocks, they really act a lot like freshwater tetras, just not really schooling. They aren't the most colorful of fish but they are really peaceful, which is a MUST for my tank.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great group of 6 masked gobies. They like each other and unlike other gobies these are always swimming around, I wouldn't call it schooling exactly because at 40 gal. my tank is a bit too small for that. These guys don't hang out on the substrate or in the rocks, they really act a lot like freshwater tetras, just not really schooling. They aren't the most colorful of fish but they are really peaceful, which is a MUST for my tank.
Would love to see pic of better yet video!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ben asking and looking so far Cardinal fish I assume no others and chromis

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I've seen little of in the marine side of this hobby are good schools of the small fishes. For example the absolutely classic neon tetra is hard to beat in fresh water.
1712769661013.jpeg

Is there a comparable marine fish?

What are the shiniest best small schooling fish in your opinion?

Those are cardinal tetras, not neon. Just an FYI, carry on!

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Anthias school together at the moment, because they are still young.

But they are cute, because they will go off doing there own thing until they see me, which to them they know its feeding time, and then they school and camp the feeder ring.

Its like one guy saying food? and the others go Food!?!?!? and finally rush the ring as they all go FOOOD!

20240407_145817.jpg

And also i started off with 5 blue chromis... and 5 gold and black chromis...
They commited genocide on each other, and now its 2 blue and 2 black and gold...

So i am really jealous of people who managed to get that perfect lottery of chromis, and not end up killing each other off, as i wanted a that beautiful chromis school you see in youtube videos.

Oh a baby clownfish clutch has always been mesmerizing, how they ball up like this:

Also just want to add about Cardinal and Neon Tetras, they don't really school very well.
They are more dither fish, they stay out, but do not swim back and forth in a school.

Rummy Tetra's are much better for that, as well as sisscortail rasboras.
These guys are true schoolers, and will swim from one side of the tank and back together in a tight group.

Last edited:

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this puzzles me. ive read it different places, but ive never had any problem with mine!:thinking-face:
After my pair started fighting for dominance the one ended up in my overflow too many times then finally on to the floor. Two years later the murderer jumped from guilt I hope. My third in a different tank attacks me every time I put my hand in the tank broke the skin once now wear gloves. I've always wondered if it is just playing

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Anthias school together at the moment, because they are still young.

But they are cute, because they will go off doing there own thing until they see me, which to them they know its feeding time, and then they school and camp the feeder ring.

Its like one guy saying food? and the others go Food!?!?!? and finally rush the ring as they all go FOOOD!

20240407_145817.jpg

And also i started off with 5 blue chromis... and 5 gold and black chromis...
They commited genocide on each other, and now its 2 blue and 2 black and gold...

So i am really jealous of people who managed to get that perfect lottery of chromis, and not end up killing each other off, as i wanted a that beautiful chromis school you see in youtube videos.

Oh a baby clownfish clutch has always been mesmerizing, how they ball up like this:

Also just want to add about Cardinal and Neon Tetras, they don't really school very well.
They are more dither fish, they stay out, but do not swim back and forth in a school.

Rummy Tetra's are much better for that, as well as sisscortail rasboras.
These guys are true schoolers, and will swim from one side of the tank and back together in a tight group.

Yeah send anthias seem as close as one could get. I wonder what like 15+ would look like.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back