And at the old house...

240411206_mJ7rb-M.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually just got a 150 yesterday to use as a holding tank.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock Tank

300 gallon stock tank used for propagation and frag tank. It has (3) 400 watt Ushio Single Ended lights over it. LumenArc Reflectors and CoralVue ballast. Grows SPS like CRAZY!! But now I am converting a a glass tank so that I can see the coral better.

IMG_1442.jpg

tunicata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to start up my first tank as a rubbermaid. Mainly because it had more of a low tech science project look to it and I didn't care about a display, just mini projects.

Later on when I get a basement or somewhere where the landlord doesn't pop in too often...or where I wont move in 1-2 years I'll do it. I have friends that have a horse rescue farm and have already donated a stock tank to my 'devices'!

I wonder though, if most people use it as a stock tank/grow out, isn't it wasteful? Most people have filled the bottom with sand and or put their corals on risers to bring it closer to the light. What is the cost/benefit of 100g glass tank versus the rubbermaid (anything other than glass breaks easily). I see glass as having an easily designed terrain (clear/clean borders for dividing or setting up frag rack, etc)

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra water helps keep allelopathy (chemical warfare) to a minimum, and only high light requiring corals need be placed near the top. Lower light corals can be placed underneath the racks so you can get 2 layers if need be.

tunicata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, and my thing is that a 100g regular tank will give you both of those.

This is speaking towards using both tanks in a similar fashion. When I set up my stock tank (whenever that'll be) It'll be run as the main tank and branch out to a fuge/skimmer holder/etc. Just like one might do to a 100g and branch it off.

You'd have the same volume in both set ups, and the same ability to shelve corals. I'm just wondering if there is something other than aesthetics and durability for choosing one over the other. I've always preferred using stock tanks, it just has too large/obtrusive footprint for an apt.

Sorry, not trying to thread steal.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back